Small soakaway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone

I've signed up to this forum for a little help with a soakaway I want to put in my garden.

The whole of my back garden is block paved and every year I get the jet wash out and give it a good clean but the water has nowhere to go so I thought about building a small soakaway so I could brush the water towards a small drain cover I plan to put at the top of the soakaway.

I'm a little stuck though about how deep and wide the hole ought to be. It's not as if there is a rainwater down pipe going into it so it won't have excessive amounts of water going into it but there will be a bit of muck that comes off the block paving although I could manually remove most of it.

All ideas welcomed :) and thanks ;)

Sponsored Links
Depending on what type of soil you have it could be as small as 1m by 1m by 1m deep. I have several around my place and they are 1.5m deep,Line the bottom with large rubble getting progressively smaller to about a foot from the top.

Or do a google on it!

a small soakaway will be a simple way to do it. where does existing rainwater go when it rains at present?

perhaps the mods will remove this (for the 3rd time) but try paving expert

mods. Please note: Paving expert is an often linked to site on this forum, its not mine, nothing to do with me, so its not advertising.

Sponsored Links
why instantly point them in another direction when they can get the help they need here? the site is good but it is not the be all and end all of all answers and doesnt always cater for smaller domestic solutions

why instantly point them in another direction when they can get the help they need here?

Because you can not always be here. Paving expert has lots of suggestions and simple to follow "drawings" DIYnot doesn't for gardening. The only "gardening sticky" is pictures of gardens.

You could start another gardening sticky (just like i did, back in 2007)

where does existing rainwater go when it rains at present?

Hi

The rainwater at present just soaks through the Block paving. I want the soakaway so that I can get the hose on it and clean it occasionally and I'll have somewhere to brush the excess water and muck.

Okay, what you need to know is where does the rain fall to, will need a spirit level with a long straight edge and see where the lowest point is then decide whether to have a soakaway or maybe block paving drain depending if you can take the water away

images

I'm not sure how the block paving above the soakaway which may sink in after time, Thermo may know better than me how to do it.

conna, stick some pictures up of what you have got and we should be able to come up with teh simplest and most effective solution

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back