Small staircase, one hand rail on one side, open on other. OK?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a split level bungalow with a small (900mm total rise, 800mm width) staircase where one side is against the wall and will have a handrail installed, while the other side is just open (no ballustrades, posts, handrails, nothing). I am planning to rent it out after finishing renovation, is this OK? All I can find in terms of regs is "Stairs should have a handrail on at least one side if they are less than 1 metre wide" which suggests that it's ok to have one side compeletely open.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a death trap, inherently unsafe, irrespective of any regs or whether it's being rented out.

Just because it was built that way does not mean it is safe, old Building Regs were often crap, that's why they get updated. Stair regs nowadays would never permit such a staircase. But you do what you think's right.

Sponsored Links
Just because it was built that way does not mean it is safe, old Building Regs were often crap, that's why they get updated. Stair regs nowadays would never permit such a staircase. But you do what you think's right.

Ah yes you're right - had to dig a little deeper:

"1.37. In dwellings, provide guarding at the sides of flights and landings when there
is a drop of more than 600mm."

This would be caught by the Defective Premises Act if there was ever a handrail and guarding there, or the Occupiers Liability Act in addition or alternatively.

And likely under the L&T Act under strict duty as a landlord and under contract via the rental agreement. It would also fail HHSRS.

You won't be prosecuted under Building Regs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back