Small tank in loft boiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, looking for some help. Should the small tank in the loft be hot? I'm at the in-laws and there is a right old noise going on from the hot water cylinder. Popped in the loft and can see steam coming from the smaller of the two tanks, it's boiling hot. Any ideas?

Thanks
Rich

Sponsored Links
1. The smaller of the two tanks is likely to be the feed and expansion tank for the central heating system. It should not have anything to do with the domestic hot water (DHW) system.
2. It should not be hot. Might be slightly warm accommodating expansion of the CH water.
3. A number of possible causes:
3a. Blocked feed pipe from F&E to boiler.
3b. Pump turned up too high.
3c. Thermostat problem with boiler.

It can be dangerous, as plastic tanks are not designed to take high temperatures for very long.

Get someone in. In the mean time, maybe turn the heating on and then off as soon as the overheating starts, assuming you can't live without heating.

NO It should NOT be hot.

Run hot taps tp get cold water into the cylinder to cool it, Beware the water will be scalding hot. Put cold water into the basin / sink to prevent the basin over heating.

As mentioned check the imnersion is switched OFF. It would appear that the thermostat in the immmersion heater is faulty and is not turning the heater off.

Do theyhave a back boiler that heats the water, if they do then reduce the fire

Sponsored Links
Great thanks for the replies. The immersion is switched off. A new pump was fitted a few months ago, see picture. Not sure where the red dial should be, I haven't touched it. They have an old potterton boiler in the kitchen.

Attachments

• IMG_20171227_183627116.jpg
    IMG_20171227_183627116.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 280
NO It should NOT be hot.

Run hot taps tp get cold water into the cylinder to cool it, Beware the water will be scalding hot. Put cold water into the basin / sink to prevent the basin over heating.

As mentioned check the imnersion is switched OFF. It would appear that the thermostat in the immmersion heater is faulty and is not turning the heater off.

Do they have a back boiler that heats the water, if they do then reduce the fire

Merry Xmas Bernie. But lay off the Scotch, eh?

You are agreeing to someone else's errors this time (as if you did not make enough of your own) - did you not read Old Buffy's post?

OP: OB is correct - there is a danger of collapse - what is in the room directly below the cistern. ?

Last edited:
Hard to tell when the problem started as today was first time anyone has been in loft. The pump was fitted in may I think, mother in law says it has been noisy since! ( Only just mentioned that!). She did speak to fitter but he claimed old holier and kettleing. When I looked at the hot water cylinder it sounds like it's going to explode!

The noise you hear might well just be water expanding into your F & E rather than cylinder

If your cylinder was overheating the safety vent over your cold water cistern would be venting

Good advice already from oldbuffer

Does it matter that the pump seems to be upside down? See pic earlier in thread.

If you look more closely, you will (should) see a vent pipe, in an upside down "U" shape, over the tank, so it can flow water into it. Is water coming out of this pipe?

Thanks all, I will get someone in tomorrow. I just wanted to see if it should be shut off and if indeed dangerous.

Appreciate all the replies.

Vent pipe may be below the level of the water in the F & E tank and the water circulating bu syphonic (?) action.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back