Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The missus has ordered a small playhouse for our toddlers birthday.

It's a TP Meadow from Argos which is 1m x 1.3m. The area she would like it situating in is currently grass.

What would be an easy to install base, we have seen plastic mesh, or small cheap flags, alternatively some used flags from a relatives garden but they are big and heavy.

What roofing felt would be suitable as it doesn't come with any. She would like it cutting to resemble scalloped tiles.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
To save cutting felt (which would be horrible) , Wickes sell Shingles
https://www.wickes.co.uk/Products/Building-Materials/Roofing/Roof-Shingles/c/1000250

You want to keep it slightly above soil/grass level or will be wetter and damper.
Also floor needs good support otherwise will fail with use (you will ALL also be in there on occasion when you child demands a tea party!).

I would go with Flag stones. Possibly staight on grass (they will slowly sink, but can be removed easily in 5 years or so time).

Or (possibly) decking (from wickes) made into a raft. It will rot but will take a while and again removable.

SFK

Hi @SFK

Finally I painted and put the playhouse together - we decided to put it in the yard so no base needed.

I've strengthened the floor - it can hold my weight just about!

Been roofing it with felt shingles - glad I didn't try and 'make' some!

I'm a bit stuck with the ridge, there is a big gap I need to cover well.

I need another row of felt shingles either side to keep the pattern/look but not sure folding the excess over and screwing the wood battens it came with on top is a good idea.

Do I need to cut the top of the last row either side short and make some ridge tiles?

I've been following a YouTube video but it isn't specifically for playhouses!

Thanks in advance.. daughter chomping at the bit to use it!

Attachments

• IMG20220712185745.jpg
    IMG20220712185745.jpg
    648.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG20220712185858.jpg
    IMG20220712185858.jpg
    354.6 KB · Views: 55
Sponsored Links
Quick answer is I do not know what is correct method. Sorry.

You method looks better than mine, if tiles do not snap when bent (can you heat them to say 50oC in oven?)

I bodged it as I used a length of black plastic waste pipe that I had in garage, cut in half to make a U shape and screwed it down.
Other might have a better suggestion
Sfk

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back