Small toilet cisterns

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, I just got a new bathroom installed (complete renovation) and I'm pretty happy with it except for one thing - the toilet. Design is good but WTF is this new trend towards small toilet cisterns? They suck.

I'm going to have to get a new toilet installed, I think. I measured it and this toilet has a 6 litre cistern; my old one was 10 litres. The flush you get with this one is inadequate, and I almost always need to flush twice, paradoxically using MORE water than the larger cistern.

Water conservation can be a good idea but it's seriously overrated - it's teh most abundant substance on the surface of the Earth - and this obsession with using less water per flush really p*sses me off (no pun intended)!

Sponsored Links
It may be fun for you to tell others of your views.

However, now its the turn of the others to point out that the toilet you now have installed is just complying with the laws of the country which require that the maximum flush volume is limited to 6 litres.

If you dont agree then vote for a different party in May.

Tony

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Rather than using up the planets finite resources why don't you instead consume less food this will have the twin advantages of:

i. Your'll reduce you carbon footprint, the food we eat has significant carbon emissions associated with it from the way its produced; i.e. intensive argibusiness. To where it is produced, do you know there are Kenyans starving while we stuff Kenyan green beans. The way it is packaged in nonrecyclable plastic made from hydrocarbons.

ii. Your huge stinking turds will be smaller thus enabling the them to pass through the u-bend with one 6L flush.

You may also want to think about reducing the amount of paper your using to clean said turds from your arse as it is a significant cause of nonsustainable paper production. A lot of wood is needed to make soft velvety bog roll.

Oh and I believe 6L is the max size of cistern you can get now. You should have a dual flush as well.

It is indeed a dual flush. What possible purpose the 'half flush' could have is beyond me.

6l the legal maximum cistern size, eh? Sounds about right for this retarded country. Could get Thames Water to fix their leaking mains but, nope, cistern size is key.

Sponsored Links
It is indeed a dual flush. What possible purpose the 'half flush' could have is beyond me.
half flush is a reasonable amount of water replacement for a urine lavatorial use ;)

6l the legal maximum cistern size, eh? Sounds about right for this retarded country. Could get Thames Water to fix their leaking mains but, nope, cistern size is key.
So you're not over enamoured by the situation then :rolleyes:

I'm with you jez - stupid stupid stupid. We have just installed 2 new toilets and the only way to get rid of anything solid is to repeatedly flush several times. And it's not about big jobs either, unless the idiots above want to sugest my 2 and 4 year old daughters and my size 6 wife are all producing unusually big ones!

Does anyone know exactly what act or reg this is contained in? I'm sure it's the case but I'm having trouble actually finding it anywhere. I've found some guidence but that dosn't have the force of law.

Thanks Seco found it – its clause 25 (1) (d) of schedule 2 of the Water Supply Regulations 1999. Thing is clause 25 (1) (a) of schedule 2 states that ‘every water closet pan shall be supplied with water from a flushing cistern, pressure flushing cistern or pressure flushing valve, and shall be so made and installed that after normal use its contents can be cleared effectively by a single flush of water, or, where the installation is designed to receive flushes of different volumes, by the largest of those flushes’
Anecdotally from talking to plumbers, who tell me my problems with the pan not washing and waste not being flushed without repeated flushing are now quite normal, and postings in forums with the same issue in the real the real world the two things appear to be mutually exclusive in many cases– I wonder if anyone has undertaken any research to see what if any savings these regs have resulted in.

I think the law should be changed so that all toilets only have a 3litre flush.

Then when they have a blocked toilet/manhole, we can come out a flush it out with 100 gallons of water. :D :D

I'm sure it will save water in the long run :confused:

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back