Small toilet floor hiding water pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

After abit of advice. At the moment our small toilet has surface boxed water feeds to toilet, basin and CH. All the other rooms have channeled ducts which are topped with a floor board which is recessed.

I'd like to replicate that in the toilet as the boxing in looks unsightly.
The floor is bitumen topped (around 15/20 mm) under concrete. Just to be clear, Im not looking to sink the pipes into screed.
I understand the bitumen is acting as a DPM, so would grinding and digging out the channel, DPM and shuttering in with concrete/screed sound right?

The channel will become quite crowded for 500mms with the cold water feed to the toilet, hot and cold to basin and flow/return of CH so any tips or advice would be massively appreciated.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
markyb555, good evening.

If it were me, I would not contemplate your idea, sorry about that.

Several issues, such as, possible on-going issues with damp penetration at any junction between the existing and "new" DPM at times, sealing an old bitumen DPM, to a new DPM can go badly wrong.

As an aside? have you accounted for a load of Insulation around each pipe?

Ken.

Hiya Ken,

Thanks for taking the time to give me your thoughts.

I will be taking into consideration the insulation of the heating. Nothing is currently insulated at all, so anything better than I have is a bonus right now.

I've successfully filled in a portion of the floor which had cracked away and the extension of the front porch flooring. It was around 3-4 inches deep up against and under the front door DPM however it was a patch up rather than attempting the above!

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back