Small unsupported area of mezzanine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to add a small mezzanine to a house but the stair configuration I need to use will have a winder box in the corner of the room, then 1 additional tread. This means the first joist is further into the space than I'd like, as effectively the mezzanine is smaller by the width of that tread.

Is it possible to reclaim that lost space by, for instance, doubling or even trebling up the first joist and then bolting additional joists to them which could be supported from one end but not the other (to effectively fill the blue area on the drawing)? The strip I would like to add is approximately 250mm wide by 2600 long. Joists are 147mm by 75mm. I know I'm not explaining myself very well, hopefully the attached drawing will show what I'm trying to accomplish.

Attachments

• unsupported area of mezzanine.png
    unsupported area of mezzanine.png
    36.3 KB · Views: 140
Sponsored Links
In theory you could bolt joists together, one after the other. But in practice there will be a twisting-effect on the end (full-length) joist.
To comply with Building Regs (if that's your intention), the floor has to be capable of supporting a point load of 1.4kN (approx 300 lbs) at any
position. I suspect 147 deep joists would not be easy to brace against the twisting force if that sort of load was applied at the edge. It might work if you underboarded the soffit with something rigid, such as 18 thick ply or OSB.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies. Twisting was the thing I was most concerned about, I did wonder whether it was viable to bolt the extra joists not only to the first joist/doubled joist, but also through to say the next joist or 2 across, with noggins (?) between the joists to help prevent twisting.

Attachments

• unsupported mazzanine 2.png
    unsupported mazzanine 2.png
    41.3 KB · Views: 111
To be honest I know that a supporting post is the obvious solution, but I'd really rather avoid having to use one if I can.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back