Small WC revamp help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1st post newbe here so play nice please

I have a small downstairs WC that I want to revamp and looking for a little guidance so have a few questions.

It's a single brick skin with a corrugated asbestos roof measuring 840mm x 580mm.

1st: I want to board and insulate the roof.
So what's best for the board and how much and what type you of insulation
( the roof slops so do I need more at one end too) ?

2nd: replace the WC and also add a sink, now at the moment I have a single cold water pipe that feeds the WC so my question is can I just tap into that feed for the sink or do I have to have a new feed?

Also are all toilet U bend wastes the same or are there variations?

3rd: possibly adding some sort of heater like a wall mounted pull cord heater. Can this run of the Lighting mains or do I need a new main in?

Attachments

• 20170625_200101.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 116
  • 20170625_200113.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 112
Sponsored Links
Allow me to start the ball rolling, and others will chip in due course.....particularly concerning building regulations that I am unsure of.
Is the existing roof completely watertight?
Consider a false, level ceiling, heavily insulated with Kingspan or whatever - just to leave plenty of ventilation to the corrugated sheets above. Nothing must touch those.
You can provide cold water from the same supply as the loo, using the appropriate anti back flow isolators.
Maybe you could consider an instantaneous water heater for the hands - approx 3 kW I think.
Nothing other than an extractor fan should be connected to the lighting circuits.
Plenty of toilet pan connectors are available from Screwfix or McAlpine. The basin waste can go to the same drain as the loo.
John :)

Allow me to start the ball rolling, and others will chip in due course.....particularly concerning building regulations that I am unsure of.
Is the existing roof completely watertight?
Consider a false, level ceiling, heavily insulated with Kingspan or whatever - just to leave plenty of ventilation to the corrugated sheets above. Nothing must touch those.
You can provide cold water from the same supply as the loo, using the appropriate anti back flow isolators.
Maybe you could consider an instantaneous water heater for the hands - approx 3 kW I think.
Nothing other than an extractor fan should be connected to the lighting circuits.
Plenty of toilet pan connectors are available from Screwfix or McAlpine. The basin waste can go to the same drain as the loo.

Hi John,
First thank you for your reply.

I was wondering about a hot water supply, would this be an expensive option with also adding some sort of heater?
Also the basin waste is that a simple fixture into the u bend ?
Many thanks again

It's probably best to run a dedicated cable into the water heater - it may even be regulations as far as I know - not too difficult if the consumer unit isn't too far away. The same applies to any electric heater, but I'd be considering an oil filled radiator rather than a radiant kind - if indeed they are available.
The basin drain would have it's own trap ( U Bend) and the waste could continue along the wall and connect to a boss on the pan connector - see what McAlpine have to offer.

Sponsored Links
Have to ask, what is wrong with the current WC? You'll probably find it is far superior to anything that is on the market today, the old adage comes to mind, 'If it aint broke, don't fix it.'

Have to ask, what is wrong with the current WC? You'll probably find it is far superior to anything that is on the market today, the old adage comes to mind, 'If it aint broke, don't fix it.'

To be honest nothing at all just looks a little tried and thought I would as I was going to do the rest of the room.

If you intend to replace the loo with a close coupled one, it can be made tidier.
The cistern can become a bottom fill one (as against the side fill you have here); overflows into the pan gets rid of the pipe on the right.
Do you suspect the floor to be damp at all?

If you intend to replace the loo with a close coupled one, it can be made tidier.
The cistern can become a bottom fill one (as against the side fill you have here); overflows into the pan gets rid of the pipe on the right.
Do you suspect the floor to be damp at all?

I was hoping for a close coupled one and also been looking at the ones with a built-in sink to save space but undecided. Not noticed any problems with the floor and damp, I do have some mould on the walls but have put this down to the lack of use and a tumble dryer being close by?

A single leaf wall isn't the best at keeping the damp out.....what is on the other side of it?
Any floor covering you fancy should go down before the loo is fitted if possible (maybe with the exception of vinyl) - and this may raise the floor level, which could interfere with the door or the floor outside the room.
Do consider a wall fan to vent outside!

A single leaf wall isn't the best at keeping the damp out.....what is on the other side of it?
Any floor covering you fancy should go down before the loo is fitted if possible (maybe with the exception of vinyl) - and this may raise the floor level, which could interfere with the door or the floor outside the room.
Do consider a wall fan to vent outside!

The left side of the wall has another room with a fridge in and the right side is outside Wall to the garden. The door has a large step so no floor coverings should interfere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back