Smallest shower room EVER!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a downstairs bathroom and really really need a loo and shower upstairs. Cannot loose a bedroom unfortunately so the only area I have is on the landing. The space I have is around 2.2 metres by 800mm! Small but it can be done but I need advice on what you think of macerator units. Seem to get a bit of bad press but in order to do this project I have no choice as a soil pipe through the house is out of the question. Also need a space saving loo if the 2 can be combined. Im a tiler by trade and a pretty good chippie but its the toilet waste that poses the main problem. TBH it wont be for number 2's, just peeing in the night! Some advice on actual brands/types would be nice. Any help much appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Things to know about macerators:

They operate every time any waste water is created, whether that is from the toilet, basin, shower or bath.
They are noisy, more than enough to wake people in the next room.
When the fuse blows or there is a power failure, it's overflowing toilet time.
When they fail, it's overflowing toilet time again with the added bonus of totally dismantling the device to clear whatever is blocked inside.

Macerators and any more than 2 squares of toilet roll do not mix, they really are nasty things in my experience. That being said if none of that is ever to be used then you may get away with it. Do remember though that when flushed they will fire up so you will have that noise through the night.

grundfos macerators aren't bad, they pretty good at chop chop, and you can remove the important bit really easily.

Sponsored Links
Can't sat I've seen them, only been to a couple, always been Sanipoo I've come across. Walked away every time.

Those things give me the Heeby Jeebies, they do. It's just about when they fail, which seems to be more often than not - usually down to human error mind you - they really do fail spectacularly bad.

Poo mashers are great little earners, I've pulled alsorts out of them, tampons, sanitary towels, nappies and even a flip flop. Just roll your sleeves up before undoing anything.

Installing a Saniflo is a painless and rewarding experience.

Owning or maintaining one may be less so.

A "behind the pan" macerator / pump is never a good idea unless the family and guests are fully educated about its use. Have a wet and dry vacuum cleaner on hand to remove the mess on the floor when the tank over flows because the toilet was flushed when the macerator was clogged up.

If the room is on an outside wall there is an alternative to "behind the pan" devices. The alternative is not cheap but provides reliable disposal of the waste with no risk of flooding the room with raw sewage. Also allows for several flushes during a power cut.

TBH it wont be for number 2's, just peeing in the night! Some advice on actual brands/types would be nice. Any help much appreciated. Thank you.

It'll wake everyone up every time it's flushed, it'll block when the missus lobs sanitary products down it, and when long hair gets into it from the shower. Grundfos ones are much better than Saniflo brand ones, but only in the same way that a dry turd is much better than a sticky wet one

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back