Smart circulators and the bypass

Sponsored Links
Hi there

Have read all these but I like the idea of a controlled bypass rather than an automatic pressure bypass or a constant fixed bypass as then I would only have a flow back to the boiler return when it was required so keeping the return temperature lower. I have been looking at the three way valve as used in the old Y plan and I can see how it would work as the bypass. With no power applied the spring closes port A and opens port B, the cylinder feed in a Y plan but now the bypass. I cannot see how to implement this valve so that it only acts as a bypass when there is no demand from either hot water or heating unless you fit one into each circuit. If you need multiple zones to comply with the new regs this could get expensive and messy, fortunately I am a single floor and open plan. Can anyone explain how the mid position valve is used and wired please?

You would need at least one radiator without a TRV then it would work. If there's no demand then it stays in the last position that it was in before it stopped.

Hi all

What's your thoughts on this idea: Keep the two 4043 zone valves as normal but place a three port valve(with a two port head) before them with B as the bypass and A supplying the two zone valves. The demand inputs from tank stat or room stats go to the zone valves as normal but the zone valve outputs (orange) go to three port valve, the output from this valves contact controls the boiler. Now with either water or heating demand that circuit's zone valve will open which will then power the three port valve and close the bypass as it opens the supply to the zone valve and when open it turns the boiler on. Only when both demands stop will the three port valve be unpowered and allow the spring to close port A and open the bypass port B. The only extra cost is the three port valve which can be offset against the ABV.

Your thoughts please !

Sponsored Links
Yes it would work. That's what I was eluding to earlier in the thread. You'd need a either 2 port head or get one with a 3 port head (since they often come as a set) and join the white and grey wires.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back