Smart controls for my central heating system

Do you have a combi boiler, Nest only supports combi boilers with Opentherm. I think you will need two Nest thermostats if you have two heating zones.
Yes, I have a Vaillant Ecotec Plus 837. Doesn't look like it supports opentherm, but will do simple on/off boiler switching.

I have room stats/zones downstairs to control the UFH temp, I just need something to tell it to switch the boiler on when the UFH room stat calls for heat. I just assumed the water connection on the Nest would do this. Have to admit, I didn't finish the video as it was an hour and a half long....

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yes, I have a Vaillant Ecotec Plus 837. Doesn't look like it doesn't support opentherm but will do simple on/off boiler switching.

I have room stats/zones downstairs to control the UFH temp, I just need something to tell it to switch the boiler on when the UFH room stat calls for heat. I just assumed the water connection on the Nest would do this. Have to admit, I didn't finish the video as it was an hour and a half long....

Drayton wiser would be ideal for your needs

Do you have a combi boiler, Nest only supports combi boilers with Opentherm. I think you will need two Nest thermostats if you have two heating zones.
Nest has both on/off and OpenTherm Nest e is battery powered and Nest Gen 3 is able to do DHW as well, where it fails is it does not connect to any TRV's.

As to UFH not really controllable, it takes too long to heat and cool.

Sponsored Links
I've had a look at the Wiser kit and it looks pretty good.

A couple of observations. They appear to be expensive compared to Salus (I'll need to buy 5 thermostats) and they don't have half of the accessories that Salus does.

I liked the fact that you can add the window sensor to the Salus range and this would sense that a window was open and turn off the smart TRV in that room. Also, I had a use for the water leak sensor.

They seem to tick all the boxes. It would be nice to hear of more happy owners/installers. As my boiler doesn't support OpenTherm, I don't know how important that is to me.

All I know is that Drayton provide good tech support and are continuously bringing updates and new products to the range. It also looks much nicer, and you do tend to pay for what you get.

Salus I can't speak for other than they havnt had a great reputation previously, I had an old salus boiler plus certified RF controller, was ok, was a pig to programme, but it didn't fail for the 5 years I was their. I'm not sure if there products will be as well supported as the wiser system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back