Smart devices - advising lost LAN contact

Virtual Network Computing - a GUI desktop sharing system over a network.

I believe she used 'Alpine' as the CLI email client - other CLI based email clients are available!

This was never a question about not using GUI's; it was a question about using CLI where it was more appropriate, more powerful, and more efficient to do so.
In my case, that means remote control of my 'headless' RPi's and with Windows, it's a quick way to run Python scripts and to efficiently access Windows commands that are becoming ever more obscured by the OS.

If there wasn't still a need for the CLI, wouldn't tools such as CMD and PowerShell, have faded into obscurity by now?
So if use cron jobs with scripts, I write the script, save it as a simple file and when I want to repeat it, I say run script. My undestanding of a GUI is that it does the same thing but with a button to say run script rather than typing it in as a command. Is that not correct?

Sponsored Links
So if use cron jobs with scripts, I write the script, save it as a simple file and when I want to repeat it, I say run script. My undestanding of a GUI is that it does the same thing but with a button to say run script rather than typing it in as a command. Is that not correct?
Yes, agreed! :)

so why would anyone want to use the CLI when a GUI is available? They do the same thing, just easier..
Now we are going round in circles!
Yes, they do do exactly the same thing and yes, a GUI is usually easier to use, except when it's not!
Will you accept a specific example?
But as I say, an RPi Zero suffers poor performance when VNC'ing and my RPi Model B is extremely clunky when running a GUI, let alone a VNC session - the cursor lag is terrible.

...and for middle of the night tinkering, there is nothing better than opening a terminal on my phone, from bed!
So to run a script with a GUI on my headless pi, I would go downstairs, turn my pc on, wait for that to load, start a VNC session (which will be very laggy on a RPi model B) and run the script in the GUI.
....or I can just open the terminal on my phone and run the script.

just easier.
I know which is easier for me!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Now we are going round in circles!
Yes, they do do exactly the same thing and yes, a GUI is usually easier to use, except when it's not!
Will you accept a specific example?

So to run a script with a GUI on my headless pi, I would go downstairs, turn my pc on, wait for that to load, start a VNC session (which will be very laggy on a RPi model B) and run the script in the GUI.
....or I can just open the terminal on my phone and run the script.

I know which is easier for me!
yet SSH into the device is seconds...and still lets you run your bad ass CLI...lol

yet SSH into the device is seconds...and still lets you run your bad ass CLI...lol
...and your point is?
Yes, I do SSH into the device to run
terminal sessions from my PC.

All through you seem to have been saying there is absolutely no place at all for a CLI, and now you seem to be advocating it through the use of a Secure Shell ! :)

Back