Complete loss of Internet - saga

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A long story and I am still not fully recovered from it, just taking a break before my head explodes....

It began with deciding I needed to put 5 gallons of wine on to ferment. To monitor the progress I use a wifi gadget which floats in the wine, to report temperature and SG - every minute it reports and flashes it LED. I turned it on and I just could not get it to connect or load its webpage. [The cause of that being, that gadget feeds data to another gadget, which displays the data and relays it - I had forgotten about the second gadget :( ]

I then decided to look at running the W11 download, but that needed an 8Gb USB stick, couldn't find a spare one, so I borrowed one from the downstairs router, where I keep some files. That turned out to be corrupted, refused to reformat, suggested it was locked to access - no lock on it, but what to do? Gave up on W11.

Next my internet access was going on and off, in perfect timing with the flash from the LED on my wifi gadget, coincidence or not?

Then internet went off and stayed off, but phone still worked. I have three routers, main one in loft, one ground floor, one in the hut outside. I could not log into any of them. I replaced the main one, with the ISP provided spare, which also failed to connect, so around 1am I gave up, but noticed lots of flashing orange lights at the road end, plus high power work lights. This morning - traffic lights.

No Internet, Alexa lost control of all the Smart Sockets.

This morning I rang Plusnet, who checked and confirmed my connection had finally died at 11pm. They got me reconfigured, I guess a different port using the ISP spare router and Internet access at the top of the house, at least. Asked what had caused the problem, they seemed to think their had been a glitch at BT's end...

I then tried reconfiguring my original router, couldn't log into it, it flashed up the login page briefly, then went to 404. I then tried the master reset on it, that got it back, got it configured, all set up, except it would not let me set up the wifi passwords, it compiained that everything I tried to set them to were invalid.

Roughly similar problems with the downstairs router, though not quite so bad. I'm now running with the ISP's less configurable basic router, plus my original downstairs router. The ISP router is very limited in the LAN address ranges which can be used.

I don't understand there being so very many failures at the same time....

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
[UPDATE] I have finally got everything back on and working again. 3 routers, 1 print server, 3 printers, 8 Smart sockets, 3 laptops, 2 desktops, 2 IP cams, 4 mobile phones all reconfigured to work on a revised range of IP's - I'll bet there are more things I have forgotten. It's been a nightmare, finding all the manuals to work out how to reconfigure things.

The orange flashing lights and traffic lights, coincided with my problems here, it also coincided with the street lights on our entire side of the road going out. The lights are still out - I reported them to highways on Monday, who turned up yesterday (Wednesday) and they claimed it was a power network issue. The traffic light, orange flashing lights and barriers went away late Tuesday - I bet the street lights have been/get forgotten and they have to dig it all up again.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back