Smart meter commissioning (Ed.)

Maybe, without the knowledge of nor consideration for the practical necessities, government orders, and penalties for not meeting targets, are not the best way to design the future.

Sponsored Links
Maybe, without the knowledge of nor consideration for the practical necessities, government orders, and penalties for not meeting targets, are not the best way to design the future.
As a general statement, that;s undoubtedly true. However, in context, I feel sure that we would have EVs, in increasing numbers, and forever increasing advances in EV technology even if no government had ever been involved.

In relation to the very long-term, it has to be remembered that supplies of fossil fuels are finite (and will become increasingly expensive to extract) so that, even if its a century or three down the road, the day will presumably come when electricity (however generated) is the only form of energy available, for anything.

As a general statement, that;s undoubtedly true.
That's it then. Thank you for agreeing. I didn't think you would.

Oh no, there's more.
However, in context,
That is the context.

I feel sure that we would have EVs, in increasing numbers, and forever increasing advances in EV technology even if no government had ever been involved.
Very slowly until we can cope.

In relation to the very long-term, it has to be remembered that supplies of fossil fuels are finite (and will become increasingly expensive to extract) so that, even if its a century or three down the road, the day will presumably come when electricity (however generated) is the only form of energy available, for anything.
Then let's wait until it can happen naturally.

Very slowly until we can cope.
That's surely what is inevitably going to happen, regardless of what governments, or anyone else, might like to think, isn't it?

If things moved at a speed which resulted in our "not be able to cope", the situation would presumably be unworkable, wouldn't it?

Sponsored Links
That's surely what is inevitably going to happen, regardless of what governments, or anyone else, might like to think, isn't it?
Well, it is but they are mandating what proportion of new cars must be electric whether people are buying them or not which not only defeats the objective of reducing pollution but is making it worse.

If things moved at a speed which resulted in our "not be able to cope", the situation would presumably be unworkable, wouldn't it?
It would be - but will that stop them?

Well, it is but they are mandating what proportion of new cars must be electric whether people are buying them or not which not only defeats the objective of reducing pollution but is making it worse.
What they continue to 'mandate' will have to adapt to changing situations. They could not continue to 'mandate' something which we could not "cope" with.
It would be - but will that stop them?
As above, they could not persist with something which was proving to be 'impossible'.

I hope you are right.
So do I, but I think that has to be the case - since I don't see how any government could ever persist with something that didn't/couldn't 'work' .... or, if they were so daft as to try, those who could not cope with an unworkable situation would simply have to ignore the 'mandates'.

One cannot ';get blood out of a stone', even if it is 'mandated' that one 'has to' :)

they are mandating what proportion of new cars must be electric whether people are buying them or not

The mandate doesn't specify a technology, it is about emissions from vehicles. The rules say you "cannot do this" and "you cannot do that", it's up to manufacturers to come up with something that meets the rules.

The mandate doesn't specify a technology, it is about emissions from vehicles. The rules say you "cannot do this" and "you cannot do that", it's up to manufacturers to come up with something that meets the rules.
True - and even that only if it is possible/practicable - either 'at all' or within a specified timeframe.

Legislation and 'government mandates' do not come with magic wands - so, if they are impossible/impracticable, they won't be complied with (at all, or as fast as has been 'mandated').

The best they can really do (and often do do) is to 'set targets', and they just mean what they say on their tin - an indication of what they want people to strive to achieve, if it proves possible/practicable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back