Smart meter installer disconnected my shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, newby here. This week I had an electric smart meter fitted. just as he went, I went to have a shower and low and behold, he has totally disconnected the shower breaker box, only installed 3 months ago as part of a 4 grand bathroom refit. Called the company SMS, they send another fitter out next day, who says, original fitter should not have touched said breaker box, and neither can he to refit it. Then I'm told to call an electrician at their expense, he comes next day to tell me, he cant do anything as he is not allowed to enter the new meter. No isolator box, or junction box is fitted to the new meter. So can ANYONE tell me where I stand and where do I go from here. Totally stumped and frustrated. Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Post a picture of the meter and shower CU
upload_2021-5-14_20-34-7.png

Sponsored Links
Would be interesting to see how that shower box was connected before the new meter was fitted...looking at the way the earth has been glanded in doesn't fill me with faith in the shower fitter

Would be interesting to see how that shower box was connected before the new meter was fitted...looking at the way the earth has been glanded in doesn't fill me with faith in the shower fitter
The meter fitter stuffed the earth in there for reasons only known to himself, The power cables went in there before said meter fitter took it on himself to disconnect it and drive off without saying anything about it. The earth was originally connected elsewhere on the box.

I guess 2 sets of cables went into the meter b4

An electrican could fit henleys, which is a junction box for them grey cables. And wire both in.

I guess 2 sets of cables went into the meter b4
Yes, presumably.
An electrican could fit henleys, which is a junction box for them grey cables. And wire both in.
Yes - but, as has been said, only if a 'meter fitter' or DNO guy pulls (and subsequently replaces) the cutout fuse whilst the electrician is on site, or .... !!

Kind Regards, John

Bonding clamp on the lead gas pipe needs to be relocated to a section that's not made of lead.
Doorbell transformer is supplied by inappropriate single insulated twin flex, and it appears to be switched off.

Bonding clamp on the lead gas pipe needs to be relocated to a section that's not made of lead.
Doorbell transformer is supplied by inappropriate single insulated twin flex, and it appears to be switched off.
It is off. Not been used for 30 years. Gas pipe is an old one, it is now relocated. Thanks

OP, can you remember if the tails from the old meter went into the shower box then out again to the main CU. Or was there something nasty going on with a bit of T & E jumpered off the main CU?
Smart meter bloke may have been doing you a favour if the install was iffy but he should have pointed out the problem to you first.
Get the meter lot back & ask them to fit an isolator after the meter, then yr electrician can sort the rest of the job without needing the dno fuse pulling

OP, can you remember if the tails from the old meter went into the shower box then out again to the main CU. Or was there something nasty going on with a bit of T & E jumpered off the main CU?
Smart meter bloke may have been doing you a favour if the install was iffy but he should have pointed out the problem to you first.
Get the meter lot back & ask them to fit an isolator after the meter, then yr electrician can sort the rest of the job without needing the dno fuse pulling
The tails from the old meter went into the shower box then out again to a pull switch in the bathroom, then onto the shower unit, as I remember.

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/...-disconnected-my-shower.571150/#ixzz6usohlrka

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back