Smart meter installer disconnected my shower

Sponsored Links
Maybe i put that wrong. The meter went to the cu unit, which in turn went to a pull switch in the bathroom, then to the shower

Still not quite describing it properly..

We are only interested in how the meter tails originally made their way from the output of the meter, to connect to both the shower RCBO (the box in the photo) and the consumer unit.

Sponsored Links
The second meter guy could have installed an isolator and henley block, so your electrician could run tails to the shower CU from the henley. The henley block would split the feed to both CU's

Get on to the meter people and tell then to get round sharpish and fit an isolator. I presume meter people carry henleys (Or service connectors) I would just confirm with them they do, and will fit it, so you don't have another wasted visit.

Still not quite describing it properly..

We are only interested in how the meter tails originally made their way from the output of the meter, to connect to both the shower RCBO (the box in the photo) and the consumer unit.
Sorry, I'm not an electrician so bear with me, the tails originally went directly from the bottom of the meter to the correct access point as shown on the right of the photo, where the meter fitter has now inserted an earth cable for some reason, electrician who installed it came and can't understand why meter fitter has removed the tails he fitted, and put the earth where he has done. The cables to the consumer unit did the same, directly from the meter.

Sorry, I'm not an electrician so bear with me, the tails originally went directly from the bottom of the meter to the correct access point as shown on the right of the photo, where the meter fitter has now inserted an earth cable for some reason, electrician who installed it came and can't understand why meter fitter has removed the tails he fitted, and put the earth where he has done. The cables to the consumer unit did the same, directly from the meter.

Are you saying that both sets of tails, both consumer unit and the shower, went straight into the bottom of the meter? No terminal block involved (called an Henley)?

I have never seen that done, if that was the case. I suspect that whoever installed the shower, broke the seal on the meter terminals to add the tails for the shower. No wonder the Smart Meter installer left it disconnected and removed the tails.

Done properly the tails L+N) would exit the meter, go into an Henley terminal block, then from the block to both shower and consumer unit.

Are you saying that both sets of tails, both consumer unit and the shower, went straight into the bottom of the meter? No terminal block involved (called an Henley)?

I have never seen that done, if that was the case. I suspect that whoever installed the shower, broke the seal on the meter terminals to add the tails for the shower. No wonder the Smart Meter installer left it disconnected and removed the tails.

Done properly the tails L+N) would exit the meter, go into an Henley terminal block, then from the block to both shower and consumer unit.

My old meter was quite old, no seals were broken, the 2 cables on the left went to the shower breaker box, the black box on the right is the old analogue timer clock
IMG_20210510_145934_resized_20210515_092829909[452].jpg

.... electrician who installed it came and can't understand why meter fitter has removed the tails he fitted, and put the earth where he has done. The cables to the consumer unit did the same, directly from the meter.

Aha

Do you mean the same person who previously did an incorrect bodge doesn't understand why his bodge was removed?

My old meter was quite old, no seals were broken, the 2 cables on the left went to the shower breaker box, the black box on the right is the old analogue timer clock
Except of course the seal on the cable entry, which must have been broken then replaced. Note the crimp on the (presumably Ebay) seal is smaller than the crimp on the meter proper.
Your shower fitter 'electrician' did a big fat bodge.

Except of course the seal on the cable entry, which must have been broken then replaced. Note the crimp on the (presumably Ebay) seal is smaller than the crimp on the meter proper.
Your shower fitter 'electrician' did a big fat bodge.
The large seal is from the calibration lab, very different from normal seals

Should be noted where the bodged up wiring was at the bottom of the old meter, both sets of outgoing tails are unharmonised pre-2006 cables.

So, 3 months ago, did your bathroom installer fit the small consumer unit from new, or did he replace an existing small consumer unit?

Either way, you can't put two cables in a meter terminal designed for one - AFAIK anyway, at the meter bloke will not go out of his way to overcome someone else's problem, especially a bodge like that where it's so blatant somone has most likely cut the seal on the meter and tampered with it.

I think the most connections
I've found in a meter was 4. Notice the scorching on the tails from the plumbers torch also...

85414a6b-eb46-4fe7-b993-bcf25c992f83.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back