Smart meter, still not fitted, for second time, but says it does not auto alert on a power cut?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I read up on Smart meters and it would seem they do two things which AMR meters did not do, the Smart meter or AMI (advanced metering infrastructure) can be also used for pre-payment as it has two way coms, and two it has power outage notification, but the installer said it has not internal battery, so it can't notify in the case of a power failure.

Not sure if lack of information being sent is used? But all a bit silly as again refused to fit it, says the consumer units must be moved first, I can see his point, but why was it not said with first visit?

Now waiting for solar panel people to move the CU they fitted.

Sponsored Links
So I read up on Smart meters and it would seem they do two things which AMR meters did not do, the Smart meter or AMI (advanced metering infrastructure) can be also used for pre-payment as it has two way coms, and two it has power outage notification, but the installer said it has not internal battery, so it can't notify in the case of a power failure.
Even my 'dumb' meter (seemingly the same as 'smart' ones, but only lacking a ';disconnector' and (in my case) the 'optional' GSM communications module) records the number and timings of periods of lost supply,so that (if it has a comms module) it can subsequently transmit that information whenever it is able to communicate.

However, in relation to what you say, whilst I don't know how true it is but if you click here, you will find:
Smart meters use long life high energy batteries but these batteries often cannot deliver the peak power required for data transmission. High power CAP-XX supercapacitors complement the battery providing the peak power needed for wireless data transmission.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I can see with maybe a 5 minute delay power in, out, to grid, power in, out battery, power from solar. So the meter tells me nothing I don,t already know.
I don't think it's intended to, is it? 'Smart' meters are much more about what they tell the supplier than what the tell the owner of the installation, aren't they?

Kind Regards, John

It has been put on the back board reserved for the DNO and billing agents equipment,....
Is that not the case with millions of consumer's bits of equipment (CUs, isolators etc.), without anyone complaining ?

Are you perhaps saying that whoever put the CU there didn't leave enough space for a 'smart' metier to fit?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back