Smart Switch Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
4B950F65-54F5-4ACD-B23B-916217D1D326.jpeg
Hi
I have just purchased a smart switch for my lights and am after some assistance with the wiring. The existing 2 gang switch is like most I have seen and basically have 2 sets of terminals on the back (one for each switch) but the new smart switch only has what it seems one set. Can someone please assist on how to wire up new switch? Ive attached photos of existing switch and new switch.
Thanks
4B950F65-54F5-4ACD-B23B-916217D1D326.jpeg

Attachments

• F04778D3-A7CB-4813-A7F9-F69E9B39FE3B.jpeg
    F04778D3-A7CB-4813-A7F9-F69E9B39FE3B.jpeg
    208.8 KB · Views: 76
Sponsored Links
One of your present switches is being used as a two-way switch - with another switch somewhere else.
The new switch is not suitable for that.

You would have to do away with one of the switches on the two-way system - preferably this one, although the wiring can be reconfigured in which case you would need a blank plate at the other switch unless it happens to also be more than one-gang.

...and theoretically the two black wires in the terminal block are the required neutral? :)

One of your present switches is being used as a two-way switch - with another switch somewhere else.
The new switch is not suitable for that.

You would have to do away with one of the switches on the two-way system - preferably this one, although the wiring can be reconfigured in which case you would need a blank plate at the other switch unless it happens to also be more than one-gang.
I thought it was wrong as soon as I opened it. If its not too much of a job I would like to do away with the two way switching on that circuit. There is 2 lights in hallway, one at either end. Ideally I would just like them to be independent and each work off there own single switch. So ideally, the 2 gang smart switch would just operate 2 lights. Can this be achieved at the switch or would the wiring at the rose need altered also?

Sponsored Links
You wouldn't have to alter the roses.

Can we have a picture of the other switch that is connected to this two-way switch - so we can see all the connections and any other wires in the back box?

Thanks for the pics. The single switch on the right picture, once the 2 reds are joined where do they then go, and why do I need to terminate the black?
The pic on the left is the 2 gang switch. One for outside lights and one for front hallway light. For that do I basically just terminate the black, remove the link, and move the red from L2 to L1?
Will doing this then leave me with 2 hallway lights that each work of their own switch instead of both?

The single switch on the right picture, once the 2 reds are joined where do they then go,
They don't go anywhere - just must be joined together.

and why do I need to terminate the black?
That's what is done to unused wires, they must not touch anything else so are put it a connector block or similar.

The pic on the left is the 2 gang switch. One for outside lights and one for front hallway light. For that do I basically just terminate the black, remove the link, and move the red from L2 to L1?
You do the same to that Black as the other one; make sure it does not touch anything.
The Red wires go as I have marked them;
2 wires in L, 1 wire in L1 and 1 wire in L2.

Will doing this then leave me with 2 hallway lights that each work of their own switch instead of both?
No, the smart switch will operate what you had before - although not what I thought you had.
Now you have said there is an outside light and hall lights.

What you now want would involve some rewiring.

I'm sorry if I have misunderstood but that is not what I thought you meant (or said).
You did not correct me after post #2.

I note com's linked, so this two-way-school-boy.jpg method not this two-way-real.jpg method. I am not sure from pictures if you have a neutral. There are black wires, which seem not to be connected, but may be simply spare wires, it would seem when two twin and earth wires used rather than triple and earth which is normally used between the two switches, that it was not wired by a domestic electrician, in the days of red and black wires electricians could swap between domestic and commercial with ease, so really no idea of what you have.

I decided to fit the smart bit in the lamp DSC_6061.jpg with one light, and used this light_switch.jpg Home Taster Pack.jpg type for others which does not need a neutral for the switches, there is a two way option but it is rather expensive as needs a hub as well as switch, and with any switch not using a neutral not all lamps will work. I had 5, but now down to 2 as they failed.

They don't go anywhere - just must be joined together.

That's what is done to unused wires, they must not touch anything else so are put it a connector block or similar.

You do the same to that Black as the other one; make sure it does not touch anything.
The Red wires go as I have marked them;
2 wires in L, 1 wire in L1 and 1 wire in L2.

No, the smart switch will operate what you had before - although not what I thought you had.
Now you have said there is an outside light and hall lights.

What you now want would involve some rewiring.

I'm sorry if I have misunderstood but that is not what I thought you meant (or said).
You did not correct me after post #2.
Sorry. Here is what Im after if its not too much work.
At present I have a 2 gang switch at the front door which operates outside lights, and hallway lights. At the other end of the hallway is a single switch which operates hallway lights. There is a light at each end of hallway. What I would like is not 2 way switching, but for the switch to operate only the light next to it. i.e. switch 1 to operate only light 1, and switch 2 to operate only light 2.
If not possible or involves a lot of re-wiring, then I would need a 2 gang 2 way smart switch which requires no neutral?

I also have switches in what seems wrong place for easy use, even when easy enough for me to re-wire, it is simply not worth the effort, I simply fitted a smart bulb so I can turn on light before even getting out of my car. It also allows me to set time when milkman due etc.

Yes a pain when not got phone to hand, which is why I used relay shown, which combines both wifi and switch control.

But last thing you want is it to stop working, so swapping bulb for smart bulb very little you can get wrong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back