Smart thermostat with old boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old Ideal Mexico boiler and was wondering if there were any smart thermostats we could use with it. We did get a Nest (I think) a few years ago, but had to send it back as when the elextrician came to fit it he said we had the incorrect wiring behind the timer. I've attached photos of the setup we have. I'm looking into Smart thermostats again as I'm now working from home some days and in the office others and would like to be able to program the timer to come on at different times each day. Our current basic one will only let us programme the same times each day.

Attachments

• Boiler 1.jpg
    Boiler 1.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 57
  • Boiler.jpg
    Boiler.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 57
  • Thermostat.jpg
    Thermostat.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 57
  • Timer.jpg
    Timer.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 72
Sponsored Links
I would try a different Nest installer. All the boiler needs to respond to is a call for heat. The nest should replace the timer and thermostat. They may charge a bit more for the extra work.

Reactions: CBW
You could update the time clock, or just update and use a different Nest installer as suggested.

no reason why you cant usea nest, will need some wiring alterations, but not a big deal to someone that knows what they are doing

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
Do you want to be able to control remotely? (i.e. at work and have forgotten to turn the heating off)

If not and you have a fixed schedule, you could put your timer on constant and replace your thermostat with a programmable one.

How do you get hot water?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back