Smeg DF612SE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope someone will be able to help me.
I've just purchased a Smeg DF612SE but it wont run a cycle.
I keep getting error E8 - 'anomaly in the system which distributes water to the basket (where installed)'

Now, I presume this meens the top arm, as that's the one attatched to the basket?
We've double checked all the connections and everything is as it should be, and when we open the door after getting the error code come up, you can see that water is in the machine, and the top arm has water in it (when you spin it, it comes out).

So, could any of you kind people tell me what the problem is with my machine? Or, have I just purchased a total pup? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Car boot? :LOL:
A shop. They said it was brand new (it still had all the film on the door etc) but end of line.
I just wanted to get it working tonight if possible, if not I'll have to phone tomorrow and shout at them.

It's Itallian for theres no water in the drum or the motor for the pump ain't turning check the water's turned on, failing that 'sale of goods act' the appliance is not of mechantable quality.....new one please......or a refund but if you agree to an engineer coming out they will charge you if its only to turn a stop cock.

Sponsored Links
Thank-you for your reply. :)
When we've turned the machine on, it does take in water, and we can hear the arms going round. Then after about 5 mins it stops and we hear it pumping out. When we open the door there's drops of water in there, and when we touch the top arm, water drips out, so the 'error' message must be wrong?

I've 'phoned the shop and they said they'd get back to me, but that was well over a week ago - I'll be jumping up and down screaming at them soon. :(

Your machine has a diverter valve which switches the water supply between top and bottom spray arms. It appears that this valve isn't working properly leading to the error.

Thank-you! :D
As I'm still waiting for this machine to be picked up and a new replacement, is there a way I can try to fix this myself?

don't touch it, its still under waranty, call the shop again

Your machine has a diverter valve which switches the water supply between top and bottom spray arms. It appears that this valve isn't working properly leading to the error.

Hello all - I've just Googled for this dashwasher and I've found this forum as I have excatly the same problem as in this thread. We called a local repairman who said that we probably need a new circuitboard which would cost about £100 and may not even fix it.

However, armed with the information above I'll see if we can get it fixed now. Many thanks Sleepyhead :mrgreen:

As far as I remember the diverter valve is part of the heater box for this machine.

Hello all - I've just Googled for this dashwasher and I've found this forum as I have excatly the same problem as in this thread. We called a local repairman who said that we probably need a new circuitboard which would cost about £100 and may not even fix it.

However, armed with the information above I'll see if we can get it fixed now. Many thanks Sleepyhead :mrgreen:

Did you manage to fix yours Balski.
I have same problem.
Just wasted £35 on a call-out charge to be told initially there is no alternative valve, then he changed his mind and said there is one but despite the error message it's highly unlikely to be that. Then he said it's probably the circuit board which is about £200. then I got a story about a women who had the same problem and ended up with a number of repairs costing well over the cost of a new dishwasher.

He couldn't figure out how to get into the dishwasher with it being integrated so did his diagnosis through looking at it!!

Booklet says it it's the water distribution system to the baskets that may be at fault. I read another forum where all someone did was clean this area, removed a large pip, and all was well. Where are the water distribution outlets and how do I get into them?

Hi swu122,

Unfortunately not! I had practically the same experiecne as yours, told it was probably the circuit board, mentioned sleepyhead's advice about diverter valve and got blank looks. In the end I bought a new Siemens dishwasher as I didn't want to spend a fortune on repairs that may or may not have fixed it. I also spent a fair while cleaning everything I could but there were no blockages.

Good luck!!

My Smeg also came up with the E8 zone error.I've fixed this before and it worked for about 6 months before E8 came up again.
Pull the machine out and drop the black tray.Use a screwdriver on the plastic lugs to free it, but be careful not to break them.on mine you're looking at the alternate valve which sits directly behind the levelling adjuster bar.(thats the thin metal bar that runs from the front to the back of the machine for fine adjustment of the machine level.
Now to see what it looks like, I would recommend looking at a ****** spares site on the net, just type in alternate valve smeg.they cost £80.45..
If you don't want to pay that they are easy to get out and clean.remove the clips from the two black hoses- one comes from the pump to the left and the other sits just behind that, and feeds to the upper spray arm.once removed (be careful a little water will come out.)pull the valve out by pulling it towards the bottom of the machine(downwards).This will free it from the lower spray arm.remove the electrical plug (clip) and remove the whole thing.Spend some time now remembering how it comes apart this will save you time later.Inside are 4 white cogs so make sure it is upside down when you open it.By upside down I mean the grey cover is on the bottom and the white housing in on the top,otherwise the cogs will fall out.Clean the gunk from around the cogs remove if necessary but do take time to remember how they fit together !!BEFORE you remove them.Refit is opposite of removal.I've added photos now to help you all.
Also added photos of where the cogs go in case you missed what I wrote and now have 4 cogs on the floor and no idea how it all goes back together.

//www.diynot.com/network/roydon/albums/

Roy Donohoe.

Thanks Roydon. We had an E8 error code so I followed what you said and freed up the cogs. It seems to be working again...I will try to upload some additional images to help anyone else as dismantling the valve is slightly tricky but if you take your time and dont force anything open such as the plastic side clips then it comes apart relatively easily...i have uploaded some photos. FIRST UP UNPLUG THE MACHINE FROM ELECTRICS!!.1-the alternate valve is the item in the middle of the first photo to the left of the square block it looks orange here but is probably white when new..2 you undo the small screw at the top left and then put hand around left side of it and ease it forwards there is a solid white 2cm wide inlet pipe at the centre rear that pulls away from the underside of the machine..it will still at that stage be connected to two black houses but pulling the valve slowly out towards you gives you better access to remove the hoses next..3-slowly ease open the two jubilee clips on the hoses and ease the valve off these. It will then still be connected to the machine by an electrical joint box via some thin wires but I left the electric block in place and it was still easy to work on the valve with it still in effect fastened onto the machine by the wires...Have a look at the valve then to get accustomed to how it looks and which pipe went where etc this makes it easier when putting it back later...4 the silver notor is covered by a rubber casing which you carefully unhook and peel back to remove it revealing a silver motor.. 5 do NOT force the black plastic cogs cover off as it needs to be noted that to get the black plastic cogs cover off it is held in place by side clips AND two small screws but there is a totally hidden small screw under the silver motor unit so you have to unclip the small 1.5" motor housing to get at one of the screws and you do this by carefully lifting back two black side clips back slightly to take the silver motor housing off which then allows you to access and undo one of the 2 small screws that hold the black grey plastic cogs cover in place...the other screw is easily visible and you will have seen it already…a photo attached shows how the black cover looks with the left screw taken out..take out both silver screws and turn the unit over so that the black plastic is on the base and the bowl of the valve on the top..Then carefully remove the black plastic housing downwards by easing back the black side clips and prising open gently with a screwdriver but take care as the plastic cogs inside can easily fall off ( but can be put back on if they do but it will be best if you make sure they don’t fall off so then you can have a look at how they go on etc)..6- I took off each cog noting how they looked and went on and cleaned up and freed the middle cog in the valve itself to make sure it was turning..then put all cogs back in correct order..7- put back black plastic cover, put in two small screws ..ease the silver motor back on (if you hold the two side clips outwards the silver motor unit drops into place easily) 8- put back rubber cover..9 fasten valve back into place making sure jubilee clips hold pipes in place properly and all joints are well sealed 10- fix final screw back into place to secure the valve and hey presto finished..11 i guess if the valve still doesnt work after doing all of above and cleaning it up that once you have tried all of above you will easily be able to buy one from Espares and fit it yourself..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back