Smell coming in through sink...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help? We live in a town house on a development built around 2005 ish? We are renting and are having problems with waste not leaving the inspection chamber. I've developed an intimate relationship with the inspection chambers! When we flush any of the toilets it comes through fine so presume no blockage in the house. What happens though is the waste doesn't then go down to the main pipes. It gets pushed back into the other inlet pipes and then just sits there. They are three way chambers. The downstairs toilet one is particularly bad as it pushes it back up the pipe that is the sink waste. The waste then sits there and the smell comes through the plug of the sink. I think the problem is the angle of the pipes in the inspection chamber is too flat so waste doesn't get sent away by gravity! As you can tell I've spent a long time looking down the drains! I have to push it through with a hose about every two days. Our landlord doesn't seem to know what needs to be done (or I suspect it will be expensive) although they admit there have been mysterious smell issues for the past couple of years. Has anyone got any suggestions or advice as it is really unpleasant and costing a fortune in water. Thanks :)

Sponsored Links
If you are saying that the inspection chambers are remaining full then they need to be rodded or jetted to clear them.....they may have two or three inlets, but only one outlet.
I suspect the outlet needs jetting as there is something down there that starts the obstruction, and believe me it doesn’t take much!
John

Thank you for your reply. They are not full, there is a little standing water in the bottom of one - the other has no water in but the waste doesn't go straight to the outlet pipe - it goes up the other inlets and gets stuck there until flushed through with a hose.

Blockage, partial blockage, backfall or combination of these. Are you able to post photo of inspection chamber(s) with fault? If you’re getting smells through the basin waste, then I suspect the trap is being lost. Also since you’re renting, and your landlord has no clue, then they need to employ a decent drainage company.

Sponsored Links
There are two pictures attached - they are clear at the moment as I have flushed them through - it's a grim sight beforehand!
The inlets are numbered 1-6.
1 - comes from downstairs toilet
2 - comes from downstairs sink
3 - comes from ensuite on 2nd floor

Solid waste from 1 and 3 goes into chamber and then most of it flows straight into inlet 2 and sits there until flushed away hence the smell coming through the sink plughole.

4 - comes from 1st floor toilet, sink and bath
5 - comes from kitchen sink, dishwasher, washing machine
6 - I have no idea what comes out of here - cannot locate anything

Solid waste from 4 mostly gets stuck in opening of 6

Attachments

• 20220828_140417.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 77
  • 20220828_140429.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 81
Water in any U-bend or trap fitted to the toilet, basins and sinks stops smells so are sure from where you get the odours.

Reactions: CBW
When I have flushed it through to the outlet the smell goes and then when it comes back there is always a new build up. I have put coloured cleaner through and tracked it to see if and where it comes out.

Sorry but that doesnt help with tracing from where the odours come from in the rooms.

Sorry but that doesnt help with tracing from where the odours come from in the rooms.
No but it is a starting point for knowing if a certain inlet is blocked - I am trying to find information for something that I am not really responsible for but living the effects of. If you don't have helpful suggestions maybe just don't reply??

No need to throw your toys out of pram!

I was trying to help you establish how exactly odours are entering the rooms but you are transfixed on the manhole of which I didnt need to know any more.

You have a good day now.

No but it is a starting point for knowing if a certain inlet is blocked - I am trying to find information for something that I am not really responsible for but living the effects of. If you don't have helpful suggestions maybe just don't reply??
Hey Mummy, in order to help, the forum perhaps needs to understand better as to how the drains work, pdf links also put some people off opening them, post photos if you can, there are some clever peeps on here and a few drainage experts too so show a little patience/understanding.

Hey Mummy, in order to help, the forum perhaps needs to understand better as to how the drains work, pdf links also put some people off opening them, post photos if you can, there are some clever peeps on here and a few drainage experts too so show a little patience/understanding.
I really wasn't trying to be difficult. I will try to repost as photos. I am struggling to get help with this so please excuse my frustration. I have spent a very long time looking at where waste is coming from, going to and hanging around. A job I'm not that keen on!

There are two pictures attached - they are clear at the moment as I have flushed them through - it's a grim sight beforehand!

Photo file ending 417 is:
Top - comes from downstairs toilet
Middle - comes from downstairs sink
Bottom - comes from ensuite on 2nd floor

Solid waste from Top and Bottom goes into chamber and then most of it flows straight into middle inlet and sits there until flushed away hence the smell coming through the sink plughole.

Photo file ending 429 is:
Top - comes from 1st floor toilet, sink and bath
Middle - comes from kitchen sink, dishwasher, washing machine
Bottom - I have no idea what comes out of here - cannot locate anything

Solid waste from top mostly gets stuck in opening of bottom
20220828_140429.jpg

20220828_140417.jpg

No need to throw your toys out of pram!

I was trying to help you establish how exactly odours are entering the rooms but you are transfixed on the manhole of which I didnt need to know any more.

You have a good day now.
Apologies - purely frustrated by the constant smell of poo!

Bottom picture ( sorry, can’t open your pdf’s)......
You can see two swept inlets and one entering from the left.
I’d have the right outlet jetted ( there could be another chamber further on) to ensure all is flowing well there.
There is a chance that vacuum is sucking water out of your traps, hence the pong - the seal being fixed again once you run the taps.
John

Unfortunately there’s not much to go on from photo’s, but thanks anyway. Could be the inspection chamber has been fitted the wrong way round, or backfall. If you’re getting stuff stuck from one outlet to another, it might be entering too quickly, or still could be a partial blockage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back