Smell in cupboard - advice needed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of an odd one this - really hoping someone can offer us some advice as to what may be causing a nasty smell in one of our kitchen cupboards.

We've lived her for 8 years and it's always smelt a bit...but it comes and goes which probably rules out a dead mouse behind the cupboard.

We have pipes that run behind the offending cupboard, from our boiler to the airing cupboard in our bathroom. We can physically touch the pipe (as the back of the cupboard only runs about 3/4 of the height from top to bottom) - it's absolutely red-hot.

Stranger still, the pipe is in contact with the back of the cupboard and looks to have shredded some of the wood. As you can tell, our house is a bit of a bodge in many different ways.

On one occasions, the smell in this cupboard was caused by a blocked drain...however our drains are clear so it's def not this.

So my two questions are:-

1. What is likely to be causing this?

2. We have British Gas Homecare 300 cover which includes Central Heating & Plumbing - is this likely to be covered?

Thanks in advance.

Pete

Sponsored Links
Probably best to take the cupboard out so you can see what lurks behind?? ;)

thanks for the quick response.

Out of interest, the temperature dial on the front of our water tank is 65-70 - does this sound a bit high?

Am wondering if we turned this down, possibly the pipes behind our cupboard won't need to be as red-hot?

Thanks again
Pete

Sponsored Links
:?: Forget the boiler for the moment. Check your washing machine/dishwasher outlet pipes if they are in the same vacinity. Do they discharge into a trapped outlet?

Out of interest, the temperature dial on the front of our water tank is 65-70 - does this sound a bit high?
Yes. Turn it down to 60.

Am wondering if we turned this down, possibly the pipes behind our cupboard won't need to be as red-hot?
Unlikely, but you should still turn the HW thermostat down to 60.

These pipes from your boiler need to be very hot to carry heat from your boiler to your hw cylinder and rads.

What sort of smell is it?

Strikes me that the smell can't be that bad..after all the OP has benn putting up with it for EIGHT YEARS!!!! :rolleyes: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Thanks for all the responses and also Boilerman2's excessive use of smiley faces.

Nothing to report behind the cupboard - what I have learnt is that turning my HW Thermostat down to 55-60 has seemingly had no effect - the water temp is scalding hot still.

So I think the thermostat's gone and will get BG round to take a look.

Seriously, thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond, especially Heat4input, who must know my wife.

Cheers Pete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back