Smell of gas as boiler fires up.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys. Quick question on behalf of a friend.
She recently had a new combi boiler fitted and it seems to be working ok but a few times I have been approaching the back door (the boiler is in the kitchen with the flue next to the door) just as the boiler fires up and even on a breezy day there is a strong smell of gas for a few seconds. Is this normal?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Probably just the smell of gas from when it first ignites if the flue is close to the door.
If it's just newly installed get the guy back just to check it.
If it's ok and the smell gets annoying install a pluming kit.

get it checked out, the gas valve could be faulty and allowing unburnt gas to enter the chamber which is then being pushed outside

No its not normal it indicates an ignition problem,
I hope the guy suggesting a plume kit to stop you smelling it is not registered gas guy

Sponsored Links
In all probability it is not gas you can smell but flue emissions, but as with both, they are a concern. Turn the boiler off and gas and have it checked out immediately by a registered gas installer. If the flue terminal is within the manufacturers specified distance away from the door then other obstructions could effect the flue emissions. The installation of a pluming kit could solve the problem, but it does need to be checked out.

Ok thanks. I'll tell her to get it checked out.
Her brother works for British Gas but isn't interested in doing any work and he recommended the men who fitted it. Combi boiler and replace all the rads and pipes as they wouldn't take the pressure??. (Her system was 30 years old)
One man has retired through ill health and he did most of the work and his mate (gas registered I believe, better had be) finished it off.
One thing that bothers me though is that she does not have a room thermostat anymore. She was told to control the temp using the valves on the rads. Doesn't sound right to me.
She has just had her first gas bill with the new system and it is no different from the old one.

She should have a room thermostat under the energy efficiency regulations.

Most people who have new heating and rads fitted enjoy the heating and have in on more/higher thus cancelling out the saving.

A friend of mine was very pleased that his savings have been in excess of the 40% I told him he might achieve.

Tony

All depends which boiler she has whether it needs a room stat it is not mandatory to have one under energy regs and is a basic mistake lots of people assume

Without a room stat the boiler will still fire up even though the trv's may be switched off, which means you are just sending hot water around the pipe work. Waste of energy and your money.

As i said another one who doesn`t know the basics of how some boilers work and what is expected from the regs .
Reg does not ask for a roomstat go and find out what is required before you give wrong information

I think baxi have a boiler that doesnt require a room stat (barcelona?) works on a flow switch, when trvs shut down boiler stops, think pump then spins every (10?) minutes or so and if trvs are open fires boiler.

Spot on picasso quite a few boilers have flow switches which acts as the interlock that is asked for under te regs aroomstat is one of the methods of achiebving this but people think its the only way.

The scary thing on this topic is 2 people have suggested a plume kit for a possible gas leak unfeking believable :eek: :eek:

Room stat or no room stat - that is the question. Depends how you read into the 'Domestic Heating Compliance Guide 2010' I suppose! Depending on your system and boiler etc etc. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back