Smell of Gas, but not Gas User

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a phone call from my distressed mother who apparently has a smell of gas in her house, even though she is all electric.

The gas board have investigated and whilst they have acknowledged that the smell is "gas like", they can find no obvious cause. The next door neighbour is a gas customer but the gas board have checked out that house as well to no avail.

I live some distance away and can't pop in for a whiff!!!

Anyone have any ideas?

Sponsored Links
often it is food scraps or spillage, especially round the cooker.

pulling it out for a food clean may do the trick.

she not had baked beans for breakfast
lol-045.gif

I would tell her to call out the gas supplier again.

Although she is all electric, does she have an old capped off gas point coming into her house that could have a gas pipe under the floor or similar?

Transco or whoever should be able to confirm existence of 'gas like smell' and prove if it is gas or not.

Sponsored Links
I would tell her to call out the gas supplier again.

Although she is all electric, does she have an old capped off gas point coming into her house that could have a gas pipe under the floor or similar?

Transco or whoever should be able to confirm existence of 'gas like smell' and prove if it is gas or not.

Cheers Dave. I'd imagine the house must have had gas at some point in the past, although certainly not in the years she's lived there.

I'll have a word with Transco...

Wooden floors and joists on ground floor if they get wet or dry rot in them can give off a smell very like gas also smells coming back up through drains /dead animals under floors , household cleaning fluids etc etc.

In cases like this i would hope the transco guy done a sweep with the gastech (can detect a fart at a hundred yards) around the outside of the building and in any airbricks to check cavitys etc just in case outside main or service has gone .
But to put your mind at ease if he has used the gastecch in the house and there are no readings it has got to be something else. Majority of reports like this are false alarms

Wooden floors and joists on ground floor if they get wet or dry rot in them can give off a smell very like gas also smells coming back up through drains /dead animals under floors , household cleaning fluids etc etc.

In cases like this i would hope the transco guy done a sweep with the gastech (can detect a fart at a hundred yards) around the outside of the building and in any airbricks to check cavitys etc just in case outside main or service has gone .
But to put your mind at ease if he has used the gastecch in the house and there are no readings it has got to be something else. Majority of reports like this are false alarms

All solid floors downstairs if memory serves me right.

Like you, I assume Transco did a full sweep and I am sure this is a false alarm but without actually being there and checking things out for myself, it's a bit of a worry!

In cases like this i would hope the transco guy done a sweep with the gastech (can detect a fart at a hundred yards)

Do you know the model of this gas seeker and who makes it?

Tony

Agile proper spelling is gas-tec and it is made by telegan.(have a look at website)
Last cost i heard was around £2500 so quite expensive which is why although all transco guys are issued with gascoseekers, the gas-tec is avialable to them. In my area at a ratio of one gas-tec to every 4 engineers.
And is an excellent piece of kit but too dear for the likes of us

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back