Gas smell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When i moved in 3 years ago (new build) there was a slight smell of gas. It went away/got used to the smell but when we have people round they always comment on the smell of gas.

Phoned Transco today, their engineer came out but as it was an I.G.P.T site he could only make it safe.

He has cut off the supply and resealed it.

Do i now have to get someone (Corgi) out myself?

How much does it cost for a call out?

Sponsored Links
Sorry, IGT, Independent Gas Transporter. Turns out it's a mob called Independent Pipelines.

The Transco guy never even entered the house, should he not have came in to check anything? The sheet/report that he gave me says that it's an 'internal pipework' problem, how would he have found that out?

Nige, should i contact NHBC? What would they do?

'internal pipework' problem, how would he have found that out?
Only by cutting off the supply and retesting.
Or he might have been guessing!
If the smell is still there, he guessed wrong!

As far as cost goes: how long is a piece of string?
If it's a new build by a known developer, you would be well advised to contact them first and explain the situation. If it's a problem with pipework under a solid floor originating from the build, they'll presumably end up paying anyway...

Sponsored Links
they will probably do nothing as they are there for structual defects (if my memory serves me right)

Transco or their subbies dont as a rule repair leaks on your supply and would have to contact a CORGI registered person to rectify the leak

How long would it take to get fixed?

Not ideal to have no heating with the good old Scottish weather.

we really cant help u here.

u need to call a corgi puppy and let him do his stuff.

if its a leak located str8 away and all he has to do is tighten up a compression nut then he might charge you £40-60.

if he cant find it with ease and cant get to pipework for what ever reasons he might have to end up re-routing the pipework and that would be £hundreds.

He SHOULD have checked appliances, for all he knew there was just a pilot light that had went out on a fire or cooker and was passing gas by. Having said that though, Transco like to get out as quickly as possible.

Get a CORGI out and he/she will repair if possible, or may have to re-route if your property has concrete floors or something.

ACOperson said:
He SHOULD have checked appliances, for all he knew there was just a pilot light that had went out on a fire or cooker and was passing gas by. Having said that though, Transco like to get out as quickly as possible.

Get a CORGI out and he/she will repair if possible, or may have to re-route if your property has concrete floors or something.

yeah ACO they do that dont they :LOL:

what is the transco tightness test agian oh yeah whack it up leave it thirty seconds capped of the supply and eff off thats why they are know as

TUCFO engineers do my way

Turn up Cap off **** off

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

it could simply be a cooker hose bayonett fitting not pushed in properley.
ask your neibors to reccommend a corgi man

scottc1978 said:
When i moved in 3 years ago (new build) there was a slight smell of gas. It went away/got used to the smell but when we have people round they always comment on the smell of gas.

do you always stick your head in the sand? you could have killed your whole family.
at least your gas bill has been alot higher than it should

COMMON SENSE .its idiots like you that we need so many laws

bit harsh lor

I remember going round me nans as a kid and it stunk of gas all the time, some people just have no idea what a gas build up can do and, foolishly, think if they can only smell it a bit and only now and again it mustnt be that bad.

well it is they put the smell into it for a jolly good reason

where you at ? didnt transco offer you 3 numbers of corgi reg fitters near you > he would if you asked but he is meant to give the info anyhoo COMPLAIN :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back