Smelly bath overflow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently fitted a new bath. Used a p-trap on the waste (which contains water) but get a smell from the overflow pipe. No smell from the waste itself. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Nippers been P-ing down the oveflow :?: I used to :oops:

Depend where you stuck the overflow connection.

With a standard fitting the most likely explaination is the fitting is blocked possibly with mastic/compond where the overflow tube joins it.

Stagnant water stays in the overflow tube as it cannot get out the bottom.

Take the overflow off and rinse out.

Probably one of the ribbed ones which tend to have gunge stuck in the ribs. :(

Sponsored Links
Ok so where have you connected the overflow pipe.

And don't say the bath I mean the other end :LOL:

Overflow pipe connected to the waste assembly as per instructions. No excessive mastic used.

The overflow is connected to the waste side of the trap, you cannot have a smell in the overflow that is not in the waste, unless the smell is in the tube.

There is definately a smell coming up from the overflow pipe. The pipe is new, bath has not been used yet. I thought the trap may have dried out so ran some water into it. No smell coming up through the plughole. Put sellotape over the holes as a temporary measure as the room smells. This stops the smell.

Pull the tube off and see what inside it.

Not got any mates that would stick something in the pipe :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back