smelly water dripping out back of fridge every week

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved into a new flat and the fridge is a problem. About once a week I have to pull it out and clean smelly water out of a funny plastic tray.

Is there any way to stop this happening or do I just need to buy a new fridge?

It's a Curry's Essentials fridge btw

Thanks for nay help!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
That's basically normal behaviour for the fridge.
There should be a drain hole at the bottom of the fridge (on the inside) that leads out to this tray.
Theoretically, the tray shouldn't fill up with water; the water should evaporate off from the heat of the compressor.
The water shouldn't be smelly either! :)
The problem could be lessened by simple precautions, such as not putting moist things in the fridge, using closed containers, not keeping the door open for too long etc.
I hope that helps.

have you scrubbed out the tray to remove grime and organic matter? And the inside of the fridge?

it would not be smelly unless blood or other materials were getting into it, as may happen if unwrapped food in the fridge contacts the back wall or drips into the collection gutter inside the cabinet.

After years of use, the tray will also collect dust, dead spiders etc and may get mouldy, but should need very little cleaning.

The tray is normally positioned on top of the motor so that waste heat will evaporate away clean water. If yours is filling up, the most likely explanation is that the door is not sealing tight enough, so humid air from the room is causing excessive condensation inside. It can also happen if you habitually put steaming bowls of soup, or a lot of washed salads, in the fridge, but this is uncommon.

p.s.
I see your fridge is an extra-cheap brand that was left behind by the previous occupant, so it is quite likely that age, wear, or poor quality have led to the door not sealing well

Sponsored Links
Thanks RandomGrinch and JohnD

first time I tracked down the smell to the fridge the tray had weird thick stickly brown liquid in it that really stunk. I probably need to clean it out more thouroughly and see it that helps.

There is an internal freezer too, which doesn't close reliably so perhaps that is part of the problem.

The kitchen does get very humid so that points to the door seal not being tight enough.

Thanks for your help.

I'll take on board your tips. Most likely we'll have to get a new fridge soon. Fun times!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back