Smiths Hydronic Plinth Heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I'm fitting extra kitchen units and need to remove a 1.3m central-heated radiator. The kitchen is 34 cubic meters.

Hence, I am tempted by the Smiths SS5 heater.

Are they a good option, or should I look at a different options? If the latter, which one?
I do have space for a tall radiator on the same wall, but needs to be less than 500m wide and 100mm shallow.

Do these hydronic heaters work with a standard TRV? Can't find any info on this, but can't see why not.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice/tips offered.

Sponsored Links
I think the normal way to regulate them is with a wall thermostat that turns the fan on and off.

Having recently fitted a Myson (having looked at Smiths) Kickspace plinth heater at home I can recommend them - much better heat distribution and faster warm up time in what was quite a cold kitchen.

Fitted with remote wall stat which offers good temperature & function control.

http://www.myson.co.uk/products/kickspace_hydronic.asp

Thanks for the info Newboy.

Is the Myson quiet too?

Why did you opt for the Myson and not the Smiths?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The Myson is quiet on the lowest speed setting (which works fine in the area it's heating)

Went for Myson because:

a) The wall mounted control seems to offer more options - power/fan speed/temperature all of which means there's no need to bend down to the plinth to operate the unit.
b) I've fitted other Myson products and they seem well made.

5 yr warranty with Smiths. More reliable than Myson (we fit them regularly as we're a heating contractor).

The smiths uses a temperature sensor on the flow pipe inside the unit, no TRV is needed or should be fitted. Size the unit to be suitable on low speed metrics.

More reliable than Myson

Well that's cheered me up! :)

The smiths uses a temperature sensor on the flow pipe inside the unit

That only controls the fan, low flow temperature on flow pipework stops the fan - it doesn't control room temperature (exactly as Myson). External thermostat (wall mounted) is a must for effective room temperature control (optional extras from both Smiths & Myson)

5 yr warranty with Smiths

Worth considering!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back