Smiths plinth radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hoping some one can help. I'm redoing the layout of my kitchen which means I won't have enough space for a normal radiator.

So I was thinking of putting in a smyths ss5 plinth radiator. However, I have never seen one of these working so not sure how good they are or how well they replace normal radiators.

Can someone tell me if they just heat the space in close proximity to where they are fitted, I,e, if I put them on one end of the kitchen will they only heat it that end?

I need to have a total of 7400 btu for the kitchen, so I don't know whether I should by 2 ss5 and put one at each end of the kitchen or whether I could just buy the s9 and that will be sufficient for the whole room.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

Ian

Sponsored Links
I've fit loads of them, including in my own kitchen, and they work really well.
2 smaller ones either side of the kitchen would work better, but both ways should do the job.

I've started offering them with a seperate room stat, using the stat to open a actuator on a TRV. Allows the kitchen temperature to be set lower than the rest of the house, and accounts for cooking heat. This arrangement will not fire the boiler, but will cut off the kitchen from the system if it gets too warm whilst the rest of the house continues to be heated normally.

Got one in my kitchen and love it. Ours has the fan wired into a programmable room thermostat so we can control the time and temperature. It won't fire the boiler but it will only come on when the heating is on. In hindsight this is actually a bit excessive, a roomstat without any programming would have done, but it looks nice :)

Sponsored Links
I have had a unit fitted in both of my last 2 kitchens and found them to be very effective. Plenty of heat across the room and fairly silent in operation.

Mutley56

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back