Smoke alarm beeping madly + Where to buy?

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a smoke alarm that won't stop beeping. The battery is OK, but I tried a new one - same problem.
I tried blowing the sensor - that worked a treat for 5 minutes and then it went mad beeping again?
I'm guessing I need to chuck in the bin - unless there is a well known fix? Just wondering.

Buying: where to buy from?
Smoke alarms is one product I don't like buying online.
I checked Screwfix and Toolstation - they are filled up by one single brand (mostly). That's mad.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I bought my last one from an electrical wholesaler.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
@SFK I was intentionally trying not to give free advertising of their name. :p
FireAngel: there seems to be few other choices.
Screwfix and toolstation - dominated by this brand.
Amazon - dominated as well - but there are other choices.

Amazon: I bought another make with 50,000 reviews. It was Xsense. Looked stylish. I bought 10 of them. After 12 months, 1 went faulty. Then another. Then another. Some would happily flash their red light every 1 min - but when tested wouldn't work! I vowed never ever to buy online again. I had to argue with Amazon to return all and get a full refund even though it was past 12 months. It's a life saving device. Can't mess around.

I saw a youtube video that said smoke alarms have a lifetime of 10 years - and should be replaced. The guy said the constant beeping could be part of the design and meant to be replaced. He was an American, he seemed to be knowledgeable.

I ended up buying a pack of 2 FireAngels from Amazon.
I actually wanted the same as I had originally: Kiddie make.

@JobAndKnock That doesn't help me ‍‍:unsure:
You walk in, tell them what you want, and buy the item. There are loads of distributors and most of them will sell to walk-ins on a cash basis, e.g. CEF (City Electrical Factors), Harrisons (if you are in West Yorkshire or Rochdale), etc. A number of them have retail showrooms for lighting stuff these days. too. So I don't think you were trying :eek:

B and Q/ Wickes/Wilkinsons/Home bargains/Tesco/Argos/Sainsburys/Asda/Currys/Homebase/Amazon/Staples/Millets/M+S/The Range/Dunelm Mill/Ebay/John Lewis/Poundstetcher/Morrisons/Maplins/CEF/City plumbing supplies/Fire safety store/Safelincs, if no luck there just try Screwfix or Toolstation.(y)

smoke devices recommended to be changed every 10 years, carbon monoxide sensors every 5. dust can cake onto the elements within the smoke head making it dirty... so if iits a particulalry dusty atmosphere, or a through route for a breeze, it'll likely require replacing more frequently..

smoke devices recommended to be changed every 10 years, carbon monoxide sensors every 5. dust can cake onto the elements within the smoke head making it dirty... so if iits a particulalry dusty atmosphere, or a through route for a breeze, it'll likely require replacing more frequently..
And if there are smokers in the house. Nicotine can pervade all over a house and leaves a yellow stick coating on everything it comes into contact with. Eventually it will get in to your detectors but not trigger them because it is not smoke.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back