Smoke alarm - fixed to comply with building regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to put a smoke alarm in to my property and it needs to be mains wired. I assume it needs to be on its own circuit??

Is this straightforward - i.e. something my spark can do?? Can anyone point me at where I can find the cost of the smoke alarms themselves??

Regards

D

Sponsored Links
The wiring is straightforward and most sparks should be capable.

Choosing the location is not so striaght forward.

It is worth considering a heat sensor alarm in the kitchen linked to the smoke alarms while you are doing it. Most people shut the kitchen door to stop smoke from the cooking setting off the smoke alarm ( especially when it has been badly located just outside the kitchen ). This means a fire in an un-attended kitchen ( popped to the phone in the lounge and forgot the chip pan ) goes un-detected until it is a big fire.

Sponsored Links
Hello,
Are there any other smoke/roh alarms fitted, if so, I believe they need to be linked.

:eek: I once wired some alarms on thier own circuit, and the 'person' doing my testing would not have it. He insisted I used a lighting circuit, saying that folk would just turn the circuit off at the C/U if they went off, and not bother to turn the circ back on, ( a point I take). I explained that both methods were acceptable within the regs, but he wouldn't test it as it was !!!

I have just replaced ours - too many false alarms from the originals.

AFAIK they do not need to be on their own circuit if they have battery back up - just if they are mains only.

p.s. I used the version of the first one (as shown above) with the standard 9v battery - cheaper than the lithium. One in hall and one on landing linked - one of each type) Note they need the pattress or a back box in the ceiling!

Whether to put them on their own circuit ?

My feeling is yes on their own circuit as it reduces the chances of false alarms and accept that if the people are stupid enough to turn them off then it is their decision. Add an emergency lamp on the circuit ( the type that comes on at mains failure ) as [1] an indicator of power failure to the alarms and [2] a source of light if there is a fire and mains has already tripped.

(edited)

Another good reason for having them on there own circuit.

Testing ins resistance kills smoke alarms, so having them away from a general lighting circuit avoids the issue.

If they do go on a non dedicated circuit, make sure you CLEARLY mark the CU and leave a note with the householder.

On a side note TLC sent me an email warning that the battery life on the 3 I bought 2 years ago would be up, nice of them- but mine do indicate battery fail via LED

I was told to have them put on their own circuit for building regs purposes. Seems to make sense to me....

D

Battery backed ones go on there own cct - this is the norm.

Mains only ones must be on a regularly used lighting circuit.

Hello,
Might be worth you looking at BS5839-6;2004, Part 6.
The NIC provide F10 (b-f) test sheets for smoke and fire alarm systems.
In my experience in domestics, it can be down to the views of the inspector as to what type, and where he wants what fitted.
They do come in wireless too !! :LOL:

I doubt it, but I hope this is of some help.

you can get tags for some breakers that make it so you cannot turn the breaker off, they still trip if needed..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back