interconnecting smoke alarms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was wondering if after a property has had a re-wire, is it regs that smoke alarms need to be interconnected ?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Think it is more to do with building regs, I know new dwellings must have mains ones.
Saying that - how do you put a price on your life?

Sponsored Links
Was the house just re-wired? and when it was done was it just the wiring or was the house refurbished?

yes, was just re-wired. Had quite a lot of other work done to. Suppose the best thing to do would be use the radio linked detectors?

What is forcing the smoke detector installation to have to comply with BS5839-6 though?

It might be a code of practice, however what is forcing anyone to use it?
What is forcing him to install smoke detectors at all?
I'm not suggesting it is a bad idea, just wondering about the legality of having to do it!

I'm not saying to ignore the code of practice, just asking why you need to work to them?
If you are rewiring the premises then there is nothing forcing you to install smoke detectors hence there is nothing forcing you to heed the advice of a code of practice unless you choose to do so.
Agreed it is a good idea to do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back