Smoke Alarm - Mains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

In order to plasterboard an existing Lath & Plaster ceiling I need to remove the smoke alarm.

It is wired via the mains and coincidentally this morning it has started to beeping at 15 sec intervals, which I thought would indicate a problem?

For the moment I would like to terminate the cable that runs into the alarm whilst we (& building control) decide where a new one is to be placed.

How is the best way to achieve this? Would a box of some type be used?

Many thanks and appreciate all the help the forums have provided :)

Sponsored Links
Hi EdwardCurrent

Really appreciate the quick reply :)

Could I simply remove the alarm & connect the wire from the alarm into the 'chocbox' for the moment? Does it have to be wired in a specific way?

Last night the bulb in the bedroom went and tripped out (I would guess the alarm is on the same circuit?) however, all mcb switches are now on, the beeping only started this morning? The alarm has a battery backup, I removed this to see if this made any difference, which it did not...

I understand b/c will want various alarms installed, and have got an electrician coming in on Monday anyway. Just need the beeping to stop! :confused:

Hello Rusty.

Best and safest bet would be to try a new battery to stop the beeping.
Then you will be 'protected' over the weekend till your electrician will be there.
If you do need it disconnected to 'tack' the ceiling how many conductors/cables are there ?
Before doing anything make a note of how they are connected.
Do you have a voltage tester to make sure you are working 'safe' ;) ?

Ed

Sponsored Links
Hi

Looks like there was some sort of short, as the lithium battery connection has a small black mark? This is maybe why it has been beeping due to the battery not functioning?

I have purchased a replacement, which I intend on installing. Is this quite straight forward? Switch off electrics -> install wires in same place as old?

Can you not just unclip the connector on the old one and clip it into the new one? Although changing the battery may be more sensible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back