Smoke alarm mystery...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was rudely awoken at 4.40am this morning by my mains powered smoke alarms going off. After a quick panic and alot of swearing I could find no smoke, no RCBO tripping, no power cuts...what caused this?

Dust anyone?!

KD123I.JPG

They've been installed for 7 months and i've set them off a couple of times cooking but that's it. They are two Kidde mains powered with battery backup, one optical and one ionisation - don't know which one went off to cause the brown trousers incident. :evil:

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Don't the instructions tell you to vac them out on a regular basis for that reason?

Sponsored Links
I have been told over the years by three separate sources that mobile phone transmissions from a phone being used close to a fire alarm have been responsible for the fire alarms to trip. Possibly this could also be a problem with domestic smoke alarms.

jj4091 said:
Don't the instructions tell you to vac them out on a regular basis for that reason?
They do say to vac them out but I wouldn't have expected a problem inside of 7 months. It's possible though I suppose...

mikhailfaradayski said:
im not sure a spider or a fly would be strong enough to press the button to set it off
Not even a really big spider? :LOL:

bernardgreen said:
I have been told over the years by three separate sources that mobile phone transmissions from a phone being used close to a fire alarm have been responsible for the fire alarms to trip. Possibly this could also be a problem with domestic smoke alarms.
Possibly. Although no mobile phones anywhere near them.

Don't they sound if the battery goes botty up :)

Might be an idea to switch the mains off and see if they all hold up on the batteries. If one fails then it might explain last nights mysterious event.

I had a false alarm in a holiday cottage near here. The guests obviously liked to be kept warm as all the windows were shut, the place was roasting, and there was condesation everywhere (the walls were actually wet). I reckon it was the condensation that tripped the alarm. I had to chuck it out as it never worked properly again.

For future reference, with linked alarms, the one that triggers the alarm usually flashes a different colour LED (possibly red?) to all the others.

A few others have mentioned insects.
Cornflies are a real nuisance as far as smoke detectors are concerned.
Don't know why they are so attracted to them, it's usually light sources.
The little blighters are always at my laptop screen. :evil:

This also happened to my Kidde optical / ionisation detector went off about 4 times over a four hour period. Tried vaccing (no fun at 3am) in the end it stopped and works normally ever since. I would vote for a critter or dust too!

Cheers for the suggestions! Not sure which one went off as by the time I looked up and my eyes had focussed they had stopped. Glad to hear i'm not the only one it has happened to though.

I'll have to get the vac out. :LOL: Seems like the most likely possibility as my house is quite dusty.

I'll try isolating them too though as suggested by Chri5 and seeing if the batteries are knackered and that caused it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back