Smoke detectors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you use two different makes of smoke alarms on the same circuit, both being mains-powered ionisation alarms with backup battery (but different makes as I said before).

Sponsored Links
i always pursumes the interlink just sent a voltage of 230v under activation? am i wrong?

Sponsored Links
well considering they are run in the same 3 core cable id like to think the signal voltage is 230v. but just thinking about this if the detectors were running on battery then maby they use a signal voltahe of 9v. I think i will test one at work some time.

I am pretty sure the interlink signal voltage is ELV - not 230V. Always remember being told at college NOT to sleeve it brown as it is not a live. (not live at 230V anyway) Not sure exactly what voltage, but like rssteve said probabily 9V.

It HUGELY depends on make. Most send at best, and E E E E ELV signal.

Older ones (going back donkeys) used to use a switched neutral (put the interconnect to neutral, all would sound). Put the interconnect to live......bang.

Molst modern ones do use an E E E E ELV type signal, but ov varying odds. You will likely frazzle one or both detectors if you try interlinking.

At the end of the day, even the best make (IMO, Aico Easyfit) are less than a tenner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back