Smoke alarms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i want to have smoke alarms connected to the mains and was wondering if i can spur off a light in 2 separate locations or do they have to be interlinked?

Just trying to do it with least amount of mess.

Sponsored Links
You'll probably find they need to be interlinked using 3c+e cable.

i want to have smoke alarms connected to the mains and was wondering if i can spur off a light in 2 separate locations or do they have to be interlinked?

Just trying to do it with least amount of mess.

They have to be "Interlinked" with 3 core. They can be "Spurred" off of the lighting cct.

It is preferred to have their own circuit, but this isn't always possible.

The AICO EI range are pretty good and easy to instal. Another would be the Kidde Click range.

My preference is the AICO. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
if u call fire service then they come and install battery operated smoke detectors for free, and talk through fire escape routes, safety advice etc

They have to be "Interlinked" with 3 core. They can be "Spurred" off of the lighting cct.

Presumably they are best on their own cct, is then the lighting cct method an "acceptable compromise" when retro-fitted ??

If they are on their own cct, are they normally on the rcd side or not?
(slightly OT the original question, but it's always good to learn... )

supposed to have dedicated circuit now, but better fitted on lighting circuit than no smokes at all
.... if u fit on lighting circuit they must have battery back-up

shouldnt be on RCD side due to nuisance trips... but new regs most domestic properties will be 30mA on all circuits anyway (unless earthed-metal protection in walls)

IIRC the preferred method is fed from the lighting circuit and not from a dedicated circuit. If they are going to be fed from a dedicated circuit provision for mains fail indication maybe required.

iirc the requirement is for a local lighting circuit or a dedicated circuit and for interlinking. The problem is the same lighting circuit isn't everywhere and interlinking alarms on different circuits is probablly a bad idea (do the manufacturers document how thier interlinking systems work and whether this is safe? if so where?).

gererally, you interlink with 3 core and earth.. which supplies mains and the interlink..

so you connect to one lighting circuit only...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back