Smoke Alarms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Two Interlinked Smoke alarms are showing 24v between interlink connection and earth or neutral. They are sounding with no apparant cause - could this 24v on interlink wiring be causes it? The 24v is present on wiring even with smokes not connected

Sponsored Links
What is the wiring between the two alarms?

IS it 3 core and earth? Is the earth/cpc properly earthed? If not you may have voltages induced onto the interlink connection.
Have you done insulation resistance tests on the cable?

I guess the alarm stops if you remove the interlink connection?

Are the alarms the same make & model?

Are you using the black conductor as the interlink? If so then it's side by side with the brown conductor IIRC which you should have as the line conductor. What you're probably seeing is capacitive coupling from the line conductor.
When I next connect 230v interlinked detectors I'll measure voltage between the line and interlink to see if I see a similar voltage.

Sponsored Links
Do you think replacing smokes will solve problem or will i need to sort the 24v on interlink?

I really couldn't comment any further as I've never measured voltage between the line and interlink but as said, will do the next time I get chance out of curiosity. 24v does seem high though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back