smoke detectors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
please could someone tell me, with the electric smoke detecotrs go on to a lighting ring or power ring or on their own

thanks

Sponsored Links
Either on their own circuit or on a regulary used lighting circuit (if battery backed I beleive)

Don't like the idea of non battery backed alarms at all (are they even still available?) , and can see the advantage of putting alarms on a regulaly used lighting circuit (if it should trip for whatever reason, you know about it pretty quickly)

They can go on a lighting circuit or on their own dedicated circuit.
Why do you ask?

i am thinking of putting one in a room i am decorating but i know it is not possible for a electrician to wire back the fusebox due to wooden floors,
but if it can go on the existing lighting ring then that would be fine

thanks everyone
barb

Sponsored Links
Lighting circuit only if smoke alarms also have battery back up (Grade D system). If they don't have battery back up (Grade E) then it's a dedicated circuit from the consumer unit.

If you intend to feed the SA from the lighting circuit you should note 1.19 in the (approved document Part B)

There should be a means of isolating the power to the SA without isolating the power to lighting circuit.

Edit..change part

Lighting circuit only if smoke alarms also have battery back up (Grade D system). If they don't have battery back up (Grade E) then it's a dedicated circuit from the consumer unit.

Can you quote the section or reference number as I thought grade D was the minimum requirement?

Who is talking about Part M? You raised it, I've not commented on it (Part M).

I think what your question is getting at is answered by asking whether the smoke alarms are being installed in a new build, a refurb, or an installation in an existing dwelling. I don't know the answer to that as the OP doesn't say...

The only regs I'm aware of are for new builds. Are there any other regs?

Well, BS7671 applies to ALL electrical installations and not just new ones.

All I'm asking is where does it say that?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back