smoke alarms??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all... Do domestic smoke alarms go on there own circuit breaker?? could someone tell me how they are wired (3 core????) and their connections in the detectors pls??

Sponsored Links
Domestic can be spurred off the lighting or sockets circuit using 2.5mm twin and earth. To link more than one SD, run twin and earth 2.5mm between them.

Gafferson, not true

They should be connected to a separate way in the CU (not RCD protected) or from a local, regularly used lighting circuit. That way you will know if the power trips.
You dont spur off a socket circuit.
The alarms should be interlinked with appropriate cable so if one detects smoke they all go off.
To do this you will need 3-core and earth. Thats phase, neutral and an alarm interlink conductor. For this application use 1.5mm² cable.

Alarms must have battery backup in addition to the mains power.

TheGaffersSon said:
Domestic can be spurred off the lighting or sockets circuit using 2.5mm twin and earth. To link more than one SD, run twin and earth 2.5mm between them.
??????

Smoke alarms can be run on their own circuit or from a local regularly used lighting circuit. They should not be RCD protected unless it is a TT supply. You will need a 2c+e to the first smoke alarm for the supply and then the rest of the interconnecting cables in 3c+e LS&F cables. All can be done in 1.5mm/1mm subject to circuit design.
Further info here Wiring matters

edit 1) inserted link
edit 2) added word or

Sponsored Links
That's good to know, its what I was told, cheers lads.

I have never installed domestic. Only full fire alarm systems (24V) from a panel.

Edit: Type error

Spark123 said:
Do you do them in pyro or do you use the fp200 stuff?

Pyro? You old git! :) ;)

We use FP, its a bit ****e though. You can strip it with your thumbnail, and you're forever getting earthfaults.

Do you do many?

I'm 28 years old you young g*t. lol, I served my time shortly before fp200 became widespread hence we had to do pyro. I don't do much installation work nowadays, I generally only really do maintenance/breakdown work.

Spark123 said:
I'm 28 years old you young g*t. lol, I served my time shortly before fp200 became widespread hence we had to do pyro. I don't do much installation work nowadays, I generally only really do maintenance/breakdown work.

Pyro is a right pain. I'm glad it's before my time.

TheGaffersSon said:

Yeah but its worth the effort.

You will not find a better cable than pyro. Providing it is installed correctly it will last indefinatly, and installed well it looks far neater than almost any other wiring style too.

Spark123, is it a reg to use LSF cable to link the smoke alarms, or just your prefered method?

RF Lighting said:
TheGaffersSon said:

Yeah but its worth the effort.

You will not find a better cable than pyro. Providing it is installed correctly it will last indefinatly, and installed well it looks far neater than almost any other wiring style too.

Spark123, is it a reg to use LSF cable to link the smoke alarms, or just your prefered method?

It does look better, but most companies are more bothered about the time consumption. Understandably.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back