Fitting smoke detector/heat detector

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting out my loft and want to put in a smoke detector and heat detector would it be ok to come off the ring mains with a fused switch as this is the easy option due to layout or come off the lighting circuit whcih can be done but a bit of a pain

Sponsored Links
this should be acceptable if you use an unswitched fused spur. however, do you have any mains smokes alarms in the rest of the building? if you do they should all be interconnected ie on the same circuit.

having said that, it would be far more desirable to feed the alarms from the main lighting circuit or its own dedicated supply. it could be a problem having a fused spur which could get forgotten about or covered up, especially if the fuse should blow.

anyone else?

I am fitting out my loft
Could you expand on what "fitting out" really means?

Are you converting the space into habitable area etc then you'll need to apply to the local authority to do it.
Also in that case the provision of Smoke Alarms is required for all loft conversions.

The smoke alarms will be required at each storey level and inter-linked.
Do tell us more!

Sponsored Links
However, interlinking them need not be through hard-wiring (that's what my LABC said and we've had one installed on the back of it). Aiko do a good radio link system at a reasonable price, but the detectors do have to be connected to the mains, as you are aware.

It is not recommended having smokes / heats on the same RCD as sockets - not sure but it might even be against the BS for the smokes/heats??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back