Smoke detectors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello again,

I'm looking to fit smoke detectors to my one bed flat, currently there is nothing installed at all...

First I guess my question is, does anyone have any suggestions how many I need? My thoughts are three; living room, hall, bedroom.

Should these be optical or ionization types...?

Mains or battery...?

Has anyone got any recommendations, please.

Thanks,

Colin

Sponsored Links
Hello again,

I'm looking to fit smoke detectors to my one bed flat, currently there is nothing installed at all...

First I guess my question is, does anyone have any suggestions how many I need? My thoughts are three; living room, hall, bedroom.

Should these be optical or ionization types...?

Mains or battery...?

Has anyone got any recommendations, please.

Thanks,

Well first of all battery ones are alot cheaper and work fine as long as you replace the battery when running low. Not just remove battery when it starts beeping. Thats why mains ones are often fitted in new buildings, to stop people disabling them. Mains smoke detectors have also a battery in them ,usually rechargable. So if there is a mains fail during a fire,the battery kicks in. The problem with a mains one is your going have to get a mains cable to the centre of the ceiling. Which coud be difficult and if your flat is a ground floor flat, it would be difficult to get access to above.
The main place to fit a smoke is in a hall way,so that any smoke coming from any room will have to pass the hall way first. Optical and ionization are both very good to use. Most of the new ones are Optical. I would say may be less false alarms on optical. But both good.
hope this helps. I would just put battery smokes in my self. Or if you have a security system you can have 12 volt smokes attached to this, so you don't have to change the batterys etc.

Hope this helps!
Colin

Just call your local fire and rescue station, they will be only too pleased to come out and give you some advice and fit as many FREE 10 year smoke alarms as they think you need.

dave

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back