Smoke from dashboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, got a problem with my 03 JTD Fiat Scudo. Whilst driving today, I pushed the cigerete lighter in, but it did not pop out, and after a minute or so black smoke started bellowing from the dashboard, so I had to call for breakdown recovery.
When I got home, I turned the ignition on, so I could take the steering lock off and black smoke bellowed from the top of the steering cowling. When I took the top cowling, a red cable going into a plug was very hot, and was slightly scorched in one place.
Any ideas what could be the problem.
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
The intense heat generated by the fag lighter has caused a short circuit, due to parts melting within the socket.
Its an ignition operated accessory, which is why the smoke reoccured when you turned the ignition back on.
Replacing the fag lighter socket should provide a complete cure.....but don't use the vehicle until its been done!
John :)

Not all cigarette lighters are ignition controlled, some are constantly live.

Wotan

Sponsored Links
Cheers for the info, when I checked the fuses the yellow 20 amp fuse for the fag lighter had melted, but strangely it had not blown. Left the fuse out, and will replace it shortly.

Back