Smoke/Heat/Co2 Alarm Recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you recommend the best hard wired, linked smoke/heat/Co2 alarm system.

A colleague recommended the nest alarms but they seem to only do smoke/Co2 and i thought that heat units were better for use in kitchens to prevent false alarms.

I plan to install the following (is that the correct set up);

Garage - Heat/Co2
Utility - Heat/Smoke
Kitchen - Heat
Living room (with log burner) - Heat/Co2
Front room (with log burner) - Heat/Co2
Upstairs hallway - Heat/Smoke/Co2

Sponsored Links
Aico, there’s no better alternative.

Note, if you need to meet Scottish recent laws on linked smoke alarms then Nest do not comply.
Extract from
Please note that the Nest Protect System will not meet the standard. This is because they do not meet the requirements for a heat alarm under the relevant British Standard. British Standard (BS 5839-6:2019) states that only heat alarms should be installed in kitchens

Last edited:
Another vote for AICO.

I suggest you separate your Carbon Monoxide (CO) from your Smoke Alarms as the CO alarms last only last 5yrs.
And for CO alarms get good battery ones.
Then Optical Smoke everywhere except Kitchen which is Heat. (might even suggest Smoke in Garage)

Suggested Setup (from me as a DIYer):
Garage - Smoke (Optical) or Heat < no need for CO unless you have a boiler in there.
Utility - Smoke (Optical) EI146E
Kitchen - Heat EI144
Living room (with log burner) - Smoke (Optical) EI146E and separate CO
Front room (with log burner) - Smoke (Optical) EI146E and separate CO
Upstairs hallway - Smoke (Optical) EI146E < No need for CO
ALSO - Test switch EI1529

Smoke (Optical): EI146E

Heat: EI144

If you do want combined Smoke and CO (sit down for the price):

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice. I have seen a lot of AICO units used at work and always heard good things so maybe that is the right way to go and at that price maybe separate Co2 Monitors. Why are they restricted to 5 years? I always thought the benefit to hard wired systems was that they lasted "for ever". Otherwise what is the point when a battery only smoke angel lasts 10 years?

I also like the idea of the test switch.

Am i right in thinking the install is for a twin and earth from the CU to the 1st detector and then a 3 core to daisy chain the rest?

@padstar re the 5 years. That is the WARRANTY for Aico alarms. If it goes faulty they provide a replacement. That’s better than most products, don’t you think?
Maybe you are confusing this with the OPERATIONAL LIFE which - as with most others - is quoted as 10 years.

Re wiring. Yes that is correct.

Ok I misread it and thought they recommended replacing every 5 years. A very good warranty in that case.

On that basis then whilst the Co2 alarms are expensive they may be an easier option. Not an option if they need replacing every 5 years.

Am i correct in thinking the test switch can be installed as the 1st unit in the chain (CU -> Test Switch -> Alarms)

The garage has the boiler and main gas supply in it so i guess i need a Co2 alarm in there.

Am i correct in thinking the test switch can be installed as the 1st unit in the chain (CU -> Test Switch -> Alarms
The Test Switch can be located anywhere along the 3core and earth cable. At start, between alarms, as a spur of an alam, or at end.

My AICO smoke alarms all have a 10year opertational life with a replacement dated sticker on them (some sellers sell old or even out of date ones!! hence suggest go to a reputable seller). So I change those every 10years (and I damage them to ensure no-one takes off the stickers and puts them on ebay).

My battery CO alarms (so far) have all had a 5 year opertational life with a replacement dated sticker on them. So I change those every 5years.

Sorry I do not know lifetime of AICO CO alarms.

Note that CO2 is Carbon Dioxide, a common and safe(ish) gas that is found in the air we breath.
Carbon Monoxide is shown as CO

Screenshot 2022-07-06 at 12.43.08.png

Last edited:
Just a heads up. I don't think it matters now you have been directed to Aico as they don't seem to make Carbon Dioxide alarms. But it is possible to buy a CO2 alarm, and that is probably not what you want, as it is Carbon Monoxide CO that is considered the bigger danger. (I see I'm too late!)

Reactions: SFK
Sorry yes i meant CO. Only need them in the rooms with the log burners and the boiler?

I installed a full suite (about 10 or 11; I forget) of hardwired interlinked Kidde alarms with non-replaceable batteries in my last house; optical or ionisation plus heat for the kitchen. Several failed within the 10 year warranty period but Kidde were always very good at providing replacements quickly. Three years ago I bought my current smaller house which has 8 Aico optical/ionisation alarms plus heat alarm in the kitchen, hardwired and interlinked but with replaceable PP3 batteries. Separate CO alarms in boiler room and lounge with gas fire. No problems so far apart from the odd failing battery, and the 10-year warranties expire in mid 2025 so they are already about 7 years old. Currently I intend to replace with Aico throughout, assuming baseplate compatibility.

Are the bases all the same for the Aico models? As in if i install a heat only detector i could swap at a later date for a combined unit?

In the garage is it sufficient to just place a stand alone battery CO alarm on top of the boiler? I may go for the combined Aico units in the house to rooms that have log burners.

The Easi fit Aico base is common across the Aico products as described here.

Note that the RADIO bases are not the same. But you aren’t using those.

Siting alarms is important. Read this

+1 for AICO - though they aren't cheap (especially when needing to use radio units due to difficulty of running extra cabling). I've just dropped over 1/2 grand at my local wholesaler for one of our properties :eek:
I'm working on multi-sensor for living room and top of stairs (replacing out of date alarms) - these are the only ones hardwired.
Separate CO for living room in the property with gas fire - this I can hardwire by fishing a cable along from the exiting head.
I use heat+CO for kitchen as there's a gas hob (and in one property, a gas oven and boiler as well).
Heat in the garage where there's no gas, heat+CO in the garage that's got a boiler.
All Aico 3000 range.
Don't forget the control switch - allows for centralised test, silence all but the head that triggered (to localise the problem), and silence everything. For anything but the most basic setup, not having the locate function can make identifying the problem difficult.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back