Smoking Cooker Isolation Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last night the halogen hob turned itself off after having been on for about an hour. After a while we managed to turn it back on and continued cooking for a further 10 minutes at which point it turned itself off again. At this point we also noticed that the cooker isolation switch was smoking a little bit and was very hot. Turned the switch off and isolated at the main fuse box. This morning I'm wondering what the best way to proceed is. I'm happy enough changing sockets and fitting lights etc, and so would be happy enough replacing the switch if that's all thats involved. Otherwise I'll get an electrician in to take a look. Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The fault was almost certainly a loose connection in the switch or a failed switch. Or it may be an overloaded switch if the hob is a recent new one with a higher rating than the previous one.

The generation of smoke indicates a lot of heat behind the switch which will have damaged the insulation on the cables. So a simple switch replacement is very unlikely to solve the problem as cables will almost certainly need to be replaced.

Was the hob a recent installation and is the switch suitable for the amount of power the hob is taking ?. Is the cable suitable for the current the hob will be taking.

"the halogen hob turned itself off"

What do you mean by this statement? My hob has knobs that you turn. I'd be very disturbed if they started turning on their own, and would probably run out of the house screaming. :eek:

My hob has knobs that you turn. I'd be very disturbed if they started turning on their own, and would probably run out of the house screaming. :eek:

Steve. There is ( or was ) a hob where the knobs had a spring mechanism that returned them to OFF if there was a power failure. Designed as a safety feature.

Sponsored Links
It will require changing the switch as it has obviously overheated due to a loose connection or internal fault. Easy enough to do if there is enough cable inside the box.

But as has already been said, if the cables have been hot then they will need to be replaced at least as far as the first bit of bright copper. An IR test would not go amiss either

I unscrewed the switch from the wall, and there was a lot of heat damage and blackened cables etc. I'll be getting in an electrician for this one.

Steve, the hob is from Neff and is a bit star trek like, with touch sensitive controls, no knobs. Having read the manual apparently it shuts itself off as a safety feature if it detects problems with the electricity connection.

Steve, the hob is from Neff and is a bit star trek like, with touch sensitive controls, no knobs. Having read the manual apparently it shuts itself off as a safety feature if it detects problems with the electricity connection.
I suspected so :LOL: But how would it know there was a problem with the supply? :confused:

I suspected so :LOL: But how would it know there was a problem with the supply? :confused:

If the power fails then the hobs turn themselves off so that when the power is restored there is no chance of a hob coming back on because the user forgot to turn the control off.

Thats a wonderful feature. just think, a piece of electronic equipment that is on and when the power fails it turns itself off.

And, when the power comes back on, the item has reset itself back to zero and you have to press a button to turn it on again. What will they think of next :LOL:

A very simple arrangement would be the contactor arrangement thats used in DOL starters to ensure rotating machinery doesn't automatically start upon restoration of the supply; a start button pulls a contactor in, and is then hold in by a retaining contact wired in parallel with the button. Stop buttons (push to break) are then wired in series with the group of start buttons(s) and contacts. When the supply fails, the contactor simply drops out and doesn't go in until you press the start button

Yes but we are talking about a very complex microprocessor controlled bit of hob here. The DOL starter isnt quite that sophisticated..

Yes but we are talking about a very complex microprocessor controlled bit of hob here. The DOL starter isnt quite that sophisticated..

:) Crafty was asking about how a piece of equipment can detect a loss of supply and switch itself off, and I provided a simple example....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back