Cooker switch trips out RCD

Sponsored Links
I have to say it did strike me as strange that it requires a supply from both the big cooker socket with a 6mm cable, and the mains ring with a 240 volt plug that feeds the same terminals inside the oven
It doesn't.

What you are doing is wrong and dangerous.

It doesn't.

What you are doing is wrong and dangerous.
What I am doing? All I am doing is connecting the supply to my oven. I haven't added to it, jerry-rigged it, or done anything else to it. The oven has a 6mm cable coming out of it that is wired to a cooker socket, and it has a 4mm flex with a standard 3-pin plug on it. I didn't make it - this is how it came

What make of oven is it?

Edit.

You can't get a hob and oven combined together. Not unless its a all in one stand alone.

The oven goes to the big 40a switch on its own and the hob into a separate big switch if its rated higher than 10a.

Perhaps the combined load is too high for the mcb.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The oven has a 6mm cable coming out of it that is wired to a cooker socket, and it has a 4mm flex with a standard 3-pin plug on it

That is a very strange way to power an oven. Can you provide the make and mode number of the oven ?

Please take the advice given about employing an electrician to inspect, fault find and correct the way the oven is connected. If as I suspect from your description you are connecting an oven feed circuit ( the 6mm² cable ) and a 13 Amp socket circuit ( the 4mm² cable ) together at the oven terminal block then there is a risk of cables overheating and causing a fire.

Can you provide a photograph of the terminals in the oven where the 6mm² cable and 4mm² cable connect to the oven.

One possibility is that the installer found the oven has a terminal block with 2 terminals for Live and incorrectly assumed the oven required two separate Live feeds

oven wired incorrectly.jpg

If the installer left the link in place then there is a serious risk of cables being overloaded.

That is a very strange way to power an oven. Can you provide the make and mode number of the oven ?

Please take the advice given about employing an electrician to inspect, fault find and correct the way the oven is connected. If as I suspect from your description you are connecting an oven feed circuit ( the 6mm² cable ) and a 13 Amp socket circuit ( the 4mm² cable ) together at the oven terminal block then there is a risk of cables overheating and causing a fire.

Can you provide a photograph of the terminals in the oven where the 6mm² cable and 4mm² cable connect to the oven.

One possibility is that the installer found the oven has a terminal block with 2 terminals for Live and incorrectly assumed the oven required two separate Live feeds

View attachment 255437

If the installer left the link in place then there is a serious risk of cables being overloaded.
Thank you for that.
I think perhaps previous owners felt it should have the 6mm cable . It is just a single oven - hob is separate. I'll have a look at model number etc then a bit of research and see if it's supposed to be supplied by 13amp plug or large cooker socket, and remove one or the other

View attachment 255437

Thank you for that Bernard. I did take a few pictures but the nub of the matter is that, from looking at the plate on the side of the oven, it is 2.8 kW 240v, 50Hz - so a standard 3 pin plug. I can only assume that what I surmised before was true - that the previous owners believed that, as an oven, it should have a 6mm cable and be connected to the oven socket - and I confess to not knowing enough about it to muck around with what was already fitted.
With regard to the terminals - there are only 3...
Anyway, the end of the story is that the 6mm cable has been removed, leaving only the induction hob connected to the wall, and the 3 core 13amp flex has been fitted properly and plugged in. Everything is working, nothing is tripping, and I even managed to have a shower without having to run out covered in soap...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back