New oven tripping - now with pictures

Yes, sorry I meant right hand bus bar.
I can see the RCD is only rated at 63A and the main switch 100A. Normally there would be two RCD's, both rated 63A (or more) with the load spread across them, each RCD fed with the slightly smaller than the main switch wires. This is why I told the OP to get an electrician in to sort it.

Sponsored Links
M, bet you regret replacing that original CU. Did decide not to report your fraudulent spark?
You need an electrician with test kit and a brain and they do exist in Glasgow !

DS

Screen Shot 2016-08-04 at 17.58.57.png

Sponsored Links
Your 100% correct. There's a live wire going along the bottom underneath the plastic to boiler MCB.

The only possible reason for this is that you have earth leakage on the boiler circuit, that would be the only reason this incompetent ars.. would do that.

DS

Last edited:
Your 100% correct. There's a live wire going along the bottom underneath the plastic to boiler MCB.

The only possible reason for this is that you have earth leakage on the boiler circuit, that would be the only reason this incompetent ars.. would do that.

DS
The reason he gave for doing that was "so that if the power trips again you still have your hot water and heating"

J

The reason he gave for doing that was "so that if the power trips again you still have your hot water and heating"
That's rough as (insert your expletive of choice here) you could say the same about any circuit! "Oh well I haven't put the lights on the RCD in case the power trips you'll still have lights" etc etc.

The proper way to do it is install a proper consumer unit!

That's rough as (insert your expletive of choice here)
He could have used an RCBO - but there is nothing wrong, per se, with connecting it with a cable(wire) as long as it's done properly.

We get used to things but other methods are acceptable.

a0b3ca747539383f.png

Oh I know it's 'acceptable' but it doesn't make it good practice. Obviously should have been a HI board, two RCDs and an unprotected way for the boiler.

I've seen whole submain panelboards with cable acting as the busbar, don't like it, but it works.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back