Cooker switch trips out RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all. So, just moved house, put cooker in ( induction hob and integrated oven... two separate cables but into same cooker socket - has always been this way for 3 years and worked fine)
Current situation as follows: Cooker switch in kitchen off, everything on in main control board.
Turn cooker switch on, and rcd trips, even if cooker itself is off. Cooker will work fine, but sockets are off.
My first thought is that I haven't tightened the wires enough in the cooker socket, but if anyone can help before I go back in, I would appreciate it.
Thank you
J

Sponsored Links
The suggests a L or N leakage to the earth. Did you have an RCD installed on the oven circuit where you moved the oven from?

Either the appliances have been connected incorrectly, or the cable to the outlet is wrong, or there is some other problem elsewhere such as at the switch or in the consumer unit.

I'll open up the socket and take a look... thanks guys.
I confess the thing I find strange is that the oven and hob work fine but, whilst doing so, I can't have a shower or plug in the Hoover...
And yeah, there was RCD switch at previous place, although I'm convinced the electrics there were dodgy... rental with a crappy landlord...

Sponsored Links
I'll open up the socket and take a look... thanks guys.
I confess the thing I find strange is that the oven and hob work fine but, whilst doing so, I can't have a shower or plug in the Hoover...
And yeah, there was RCD switch at previous place, although I'm convinced the electrics there were dodgy... rental with a crappy landlord...
Your original post indicated the RCD trips when cooker switch is turned on ,but the above is telling us that the oven and hob work fine . Please be more specific .

Your original post indicated the RCD trips when cooker switch is turned on ,but the above is telling us that the oven and hob work fine . Please be more specific .
Not sure how specific I can be... when I turn on the cooker switch in the kitchen... big red one... it trips out the sockets. However the hob still works, so the actual cooker socket itself is not affected. After numerous unwire and rewires, I can switch on cooker switch, all is good, nothing trips... however, oven also has a wee 240 volt plug wired into same terminals in the oven as the 6mm cable... when I plug THAT in and switch it on, the rcd trips... so I'm pulling everything out again to look closely at this cable and it's connections. A tad frustrating, but I do believe this is an issue I've caused while working on it today... earlier it was fine when I wired up the 6mm cable. So I took it off, fed it through the gap at the back of the units, wired it up... still works. Pushed the oven into its recess... tripped. Took it out, redid what I did, pushed it in slowly... so far so good... oven is where it should be... switched on... all good. Switch off... push drawer unit in which covers cooker socket (nowhere near 240v cable or plug) switch on, trips. Took it out, checked all, move everything in bit by bit switch on, all good, plug in 3 pin plug, switch on, rcd trips... so now its out again, I have to remove 6mm cable from cooker socket to give me room to work on 240v cable.... jeez...

Maybe showing us pictures of the wiring / connections ,and a pic of your consumer unit indicating which circuits the sockets and cooker switch are connected to, would help us to work out what's going on.

There is something fundamentally wrong with the wiring in the property. such as two or more circuits interconnected.
If an RCD trips, it should disconnect the circuit affected (the cooker) and possibly some others.

...however, oven also has a wee 240 volt plug wired into same terminals in the oven as the 6mm cable

a plug?

not a socket?

wired to the cooker terminals?

so the pins on the plug are live?

disconnect it from the cooker imediately

it is very dangerous.

If I disconnect the 3 pin plug flex from the oven, it doesn't work. I tried that already when I determined that the 3 pin job was the problem. Wired up the oven into the cooker socket... wouldn't heat and light wasn't working. Also had 3 pin wired in without 6mm cable.. didn't work either. Seems it needs both...

a plug?

not a socket?

wired to the cooker terminals?

so the pins on the plug are live?

disconnect it from the cooker imediately

it is very dangerous.
I have to say it did strike me as strange that it requires a supply from both the big cooker socket with a 6mm cable, and the mains ring with a 240 volt plug that feeds the same terminals inside the oven. - not sure what it would get from the plug socket that it wouldn't already get from the cooker socket. It is a Neff integrated thing - if it doesn't need the three pin plug, I will take it off and see if it makes a difference - hopefully it won't trip out everything halfway through my shower as it did today when I was covered in soap... Perhaps it came that way to give folk a choice...?

I suggest you get an electrician in ,I am concerned for your safety. You don't seem to know what you are doing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back