New oven tripping - now with pictures

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Got a new oven to replace old in a like for like (6mm T&E from oven to wall and cooker switch on wall) but as soon as switch the cooker switch on the whole circuit in the house trips (RCD).

I've double checked all the connections, everything seems fine. The cooker switch has a plug socket in it witch works fine too.

Any ideas what else I could check before I need to call an electrician?

Cheers,
J

Sponsored Links
Ovens have elements which have mineral insulation this is hygroscopic that is it will absorb water from the atmosphere, in the main every time the oven goes on it will drive out any small amount of moisture, but if left in storage for a long time it can absorb enough to cause the RCD to trip. Although the water can be driven out, it will mean the seal at end of element is faulty and it can happen again. So best option is to return it as faulty. Second is to change elements. Most electricians can fix this for you and drive the water out, but likely it will come back.

as soon as switch the cooker switch on

Do you mean the RCD trips when you turn ON the switch at the wall with all the cooker controls at OFF ?

If that is the case then a mistake in the wiring to the terminals in the cooker is also a possibility.

as soon as switch the cooker switch on

Do you mean the RCD trips when you turn ON the switch at the wall with all the cooker controls at OFF ?

If that is the case then a mistake in the wiring to the terminals in the cooker is also a possibility.

Yes thats what i meant, whatever the case the Bosch engineer has just been and connect an normal plug to it, plugged it in and it worked, he said the oven is fine and there might be an earth leakage?

Sponsored Links
Well, if an RCD trips there will be an earth leakage; that's what they detect.

I presume the engineer replace the 6mm² cable - you won't get that into a plug - so has he also, perhaps inadvertently, repaired a fault?

Well, if an RCD trips there will be an earth leakage; that's what they detect.

I presume the engineer replace the 6mm² cable - you won't get that into a plug - so has he also, perhaps inadvertently, repaired a fault?

I'm not home yet and theres no point asking my wife! I'm not sure if he wired it back into the cooker circuit so i'll check it when I get home.

Well I got home and tried the oven, still tripping the RCD. I wired the oven directly to the switch but no luck.

Didn't see any visible nicks in the cabling.

I did have the consumer unit replaced recently so don't know if its the wiring in that?

Here's some pics:
20160801_185846.jpg

Straight in to the switch to bypass the chased cable in the wall (The plug is working in the cooker switch hence my theory here)
20160801_182755.jpg

The recently installed consumer unit - there was no cooker at time of install so the cooker circuit would not have been tested!

Any ideas? Anyone know a good electrician in the Glasgow area?

Cheers for all the tips thus far guys!

John

Why on earth would anyone fit a single RCD unit?
I was thinking the black on the right may be in the wrong position but it is difficult to tell how the consumer unit has been configured.
Try asking friends and neighbours if they know a reputable electrician, also maybe worth looking on SELECT and NICEIC sites.

Last edited:
Why on earth would anyone fit a single RCD unit?
I was thinking the black on the right may be in the wrong position but it is difficult to tell how the consumer unit has been configured.
Try asking friends and neighbours if they know a reputable electrician, also maybe worth looking on SELECT and NICEIC sites.

I don't know I'm not an electrician, I have another thread on here all about the cowboy who put in my CU box... Could that be part of the problem?

I'm worried about getting a good honest electrician because of my past experience.

It could be, when the RCD trips do the lights also go off?

Yeah everything apart from the boiler, that's the MCB at the far left in the pic. It's the only circuit not on the RCD.

I can't help but think the neutrals are wrong, but you really need a spark in to sort them.

My reasoning for thinking the neutrals are wrong is the right hand bar is usually not RCD protected, this rings true for the boiler circuit.
However there's too many large blue wires in it for my liking, as if it is feeding another neutral bar. This is why I think you are getting the tripping. Usually a consumer unit will have two or more RCDs to split the circuits up so you don't lose all your lights or sockets for a single fault.
Having read your other thread it is probably worth going onto the NAPIT / SELECT / NICEIC websites and searching for a local electrician there.
Don't be surprised if they say you need another new consumer unit as that one is awful :(

It is very strange. Not to fit a dual RCD with high integrity board.

It looks like the two internal neutrals that head south behind the two 32A MCB's on the far right may both be connected to the output terminal of the RCD, but it's a butcher job.

This is what it should look like:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=twin+RCD+BG+board&biw=1280&bih=603&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj64LDcrKHOAhUqIcAKHQJTDK8Q_AUIBygC&dpr=1.5#imgrc=1K5itUuCefCFaM:

But in your case, the HI busbar should be connected to the L Out terminal of the main switch, in between the mains switch and the RH RCD.

By comparing the two pictures, it seems he may have repurposed the L lead looping to the non-existent LH RCD to feed the boiler MCB from the L out terminal of the main switch, but, as 123 says, what has he done to the N feed to the LH RCD, clearly connected in the top RH neutral terminal??......:eek:

We need pictures with the busbar cover removed. SWITCH OFF FIRST!

Where is your thread about the installation of this board?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back