Smooth render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, guys I'm new to the site so please bare with me.

I'm just about to buy a house with very unsmoth render around the top half of the exterior. It is deliberate and in good condition. However I want to get it rendered smooth, can I just get it skimmed over or would I need to replace it all?

I apologise if my description is rubbish.

Sponsored Links
If it is sound, and there is no danger of it coming off, you could go over it . It MUST be sound, though to do this.

You would have to use some type of external render, either traditional sand and cement , Monocouche coloured render or something like STO that you can trowel a tight coat onto (search this for info on net).

Either way, you will have to seal up the old render and provide a key for the next coat. You could use an SBR slurry for the sand and cement, Rendaid for the monocouche, or their primer for other products like STO.

Most external finishes, while flat, are not smooth like internal plastering. Render will come up like a sheet of sandpaper (for want of better) when rubbed up and sponged. Monocouche is pitted, and the external STO is similar to render, but also coloured.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back