Snails

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Snails

Millions of the buggers all over my garden

Move a few and blink and then more have taken their place

Why are they attracted and what is the solution?

I don't fancy eating them, by the way

Sponsored Links
Snails in shells or Slugs ?
Slug pellets will kill either but chuck them over in your neighbours garden as the pellets attract even more than they kill.

What area of britain are you in because these snails are spreading north fast with the milder seasonal weather.

I'm in manchester and found a massive clump of snails hibernating behind a rock.

i am told snails will not cross sand, and that slugs do not like salt.

I'm in Northamptonshire

They really are everywhere and it is snails - definitley not slugs.
Snails arents as bad as at least you dont get slimy fingers moving them, but it is really annoying.

Sponsored Links
Clear any rubbish up thats laying about, if you have a tidy garden they will go where there is an overgrown one.
The problem is telling them that its nicer elsewhere.
But tidy up, use pellets, collect as many as you can eventually you will get to an acceptable level. I found a pile of snails all huddled together about a month ago...crushed the bloody lot...there are plenty left for the birds before anyone starts. :rolleyes:

breezer said:
i am told snails will not cross sand, and that slugs do not like salt.

How did they get across from France then?:cool:

Put a couple of old bits of sacking or black polythene in nice shady areas, especially around plants and keep it moist. This will attract the snails. Just scrape off the snails and put in the bin.

If using the blue pellets make sure you clear away the dead snails on a daily basis so that other wildlife (such as frogs, hedgehogs, thrushes) doesn't eat the poisoned snails and get poisoned as well.

I send any snails I find flying into the road.

It's a U.K wide problem, thanks to warm and wet days and nights, perfect weather for slugs and snails. Buy the pellets with animal repellent impregnated in them, to give other wildlife a bad taste if they try to eat the dead slugs. A beer trap works well, if you can bring yourself around to pour good beer in to the trap :( Here in Devon we have had no frost this winter, consequently I have greenfly on my hosta's, slugs and snails queueing up to enter my garden, blackfly on my osteospermum, and a whole host of pests, and it's only May!

breezer said:
slugs do not like salt.

Well that's putting it mildly, considering salt totally destroys slugs, in a (death of the) leader of the daleks kind of way.

Slugs and snails hate salt. It melts them like a jelly baby in the microwave.

The only problem is that salt will not last if it rains. As suggested above, sand is a good way of detering them so too is a bowl of beer (what a waste). but it does the trick as they then drown.

Slug pellets don't appear to work on snails though.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Tom

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back